MSW @ USC

Shuck5

Hello All!

I'm looking for some insight into the online MSW program at USC. Has anyone here applied or attended? I would like to know what your stats looked like if you were admitted, and if you think the online format worked well for you. Also, anyone who has attended any online MSW program is welcome to share their comments or advice.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for the same insight! 

I cannot seem to find any feedback from actual students attending the program. If you find any interesting information, please let me know!

I applied to a psych Ph.D. program at USC this last application cycle and ever since then I see promoted ads on Facebook & Twitter about the MSW program at USC almost daily. This obviously isn't based on anything other than gut reaction, but I have a hard time trusting the legitimacy/strength of a program that has to pay for promoted ads on social media. 

But hey, I hope I'm wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking online classes right now; just started in early May. I'm not sure about the theory about ad pop ups because I've gotten the same pop ups from schools I know are reputable. I think it might be common practice for some colleges now,especially those who might have an online program that's new. Anyway....I'm having a good experience so far. It's kind of awkward at first using the online classroom but you adjust. I tell people it's like the opening to the Brady Bunch where everyone is in a box on the screen. We can all see and here each other. So in thAt respect its like being in person. We still meet at a scheduled time and you're expected to participate in discussions. A lot of the work is independent though. You do readings and watch videos prior to the class meeting and come to class prepared to discuss. You also might have to do activities with the videos and readings. For example , this week we have to visit a welfare office and get an application for a program similar to food stamps. We're supposed to observe the office, pros, process to apply and we'll share our findings in class. Sometimes you might just do a writing reflection. Class is on 1.5 hours so you can't cover all the material, so you're doing a lot on your own. You have to manage time well and be a self guided learner. Let me know if you have specific questions I can try to answer.

My stats: undergrad in English 3.1, grad in education 3.7, don't recall my get, but they don't ask for it

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking online classes right now; just started in early May. I'm not sure about the theory about ad pop ups because I've gotten the same pop ups from schools I know are reputable. I think it might be common practice for some colleges now,especially those who might have an online program that's new. Anyway....I'm having a good experience so far. It's kind of awkward at first using the online classroom but you adjust. I tell people it's like the opening to the Brady Bunch where everyone is in a box on the screen. We can all see and here each other. So in thAt respect its like being in person. We still meet at a scheduled time and you're expected to participate in discussions. A lot of the work is independent though. You do readings and watch videos prior to the class meeting and come to class prepared to discuss. You also might have to do activities with the videos and readings. For example , this week we have to visit a welfare office and get an application for a program similar to food stamps. We're supposed to observe the office, pros, process to apply and we'll share our findings in class. Sometimes you might just do a writing reflection. Class is on 1.5 hours so you can't cover all the material, so you're doing a lot on your own. You have to manage time well and be a self guided learner. Let me know if you have specific questions I can try to answer.

My stats: undergrad in English 3.1, grad in education 3.7, don't recall my get, but they don't ask for it

Thank you so much for your reply! It has been difficult to find a current student's opinion. So, you are doing the online program at USC? Or are you in another program? 

The reason I was so interested in USC's online MSW is that it really does simulate being in a classroom. Did you have a lot of experience in social work before you were admitted? I was planning on working at the crisis hotline for emergency women's services in my hometown prior to applying. That only gives me a few months. I recently decided that I wanted to go the MSW route, so I am not sure how my experience would affect admission. My G.P.A. is great but I know that's not enough to get in to most programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been admitted to the but am probably going to switch to the on-campus option because I already live in LA! I've also been admitted to Columbia. I had a 3.4 undergrad (one bad grade freshman year had me playing catch-up, but finished with straight A's), tons of social work experience. From what I gather after speaking to a bunch of people, your essay is probably the most important part of the application. Make a good, clear case for why you're applying and you should be golden.