Second Master's Degree?

riverstyx

A friend of mine who has a masters degree in philosophy asked me about this, and I wasn't sure of the answer.

He has a masters degree in philosophy from a public university (West Coast). He didn't do so well, and he thinks that if he applies to PhD programs in philosophy, he will almost certainly be shut out.

He asked me whether getting a second masters in philosophy with a slightly different specialization would be possible (metaphysics as opposed to philosophy of science). I haven't really heard of such a thing, but I figured I would post to get people's reactions.

I would think philosophy graduate programs would not admit a student who already has a masters in philosophy solely to get a second masters degree in philosophy. But then again, if a student has a masters degree in philosophy and applies to a PhD program and gets admitted, s/he will receive a second masters degree along the way anyway.

Any thoughts?

I can't say 100%, but I am pretty sure a school will not consider you for a terminal MA program if you do already have an MA in philosophy. When you get an MA along the way to a PhD, it is because you've been admitted into the PhD program and simply met the requirements along the way.

I can't say 100%, but I am pretty sure a school will not consider you for a terminal MA program if you do already have an MA in philosophy. When you get an MA along the way to a PhD, it is because you've been admitted into the PhD program and simply met the requirements along the way.

Yes that makes sense. I would guess it depends on each school's policies on admissions for the same or a similar degree. Maybe it's on a case-by-case basis, but probably for most schools the answer is no. I know for PhD admissions to philosophy most every school will not admit a student for a PhD who already has a PhD in philosophy, and there's no reason to think it's any different for masters degrees.

Yes that makes sense. I would guess it depends on each school's policies on admissions for the same or a similar degree. Maybe it's on a case-by-case basis, but probably for most schools the answer is no. I know for PhD admissions to philosophy most every school will not admit a student for a PhD who already has a PhD in philosophy, and there's no reason to think it's any different for masters degrees.

I don't think so. At least, what you said is not applicable to me. In fact, I have a masters degree in philosophy. And this year I have been admitted into six MA programs including NIU and Houston (though I also got two PhD acceptances). So please tell you friend me to give up. Please feel free to PM me if you have any question.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine who has a masters degree in philosophy asked me about this, and I wasn't sure of the answer.

He has a masters degree in philosophy from a public university (West Coast). He didn't do so well, and he thinks that if he applies to PhD programs in philosophy, he will almost certainly be shut out.

He asked me whether getting a second masters in philosophy with a slightly different specialization would be possible (metaphysics as opposed to philosophy of science). I haven't really heard of such a thing, but I figured I would post to get people's reactions.

I would think philosophy graduate programs would not admit a student who already has a masters in philosophy solely to get a second masters degree in philosophy. But then again, if a student has a masters degree in philosophy and applies to a PhD program and gets admitted, s/he will receive a second masters degree along the way anyway.

Any thoughts?

For what it's worth, when I met with the graduate chair at Penn, I suggested the possibility of earning the second philosophy master's degree. We didn't discuss it beyond the mere suggestion, but I interpreted his reaction to be favorable to the idea. He didn't say anything to the effect of, "That's not an option."

Edit: Note: I'm a law student at Penn. That may be the reason for the openness to the idea. Also, note that the Penn Philosophy website suggests that the MA is reserved for special circumstances.

Edited by ianfaircloud