PhD in I/O - Please help! Do I fit the criteria to apply?

utopian786

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking these boards for some time now and it looks like most of the applicants who post on this board have excellent credentials to support their application. My background is slightly different and I would really appreciate your opinion on whether you think I have a chance to be admitted into a PhD or Master's program for Fall 2010.

Long story short - I went to a liberal arts college (well known and well respected in the area) and I double majored in accounting and psychology..all I can say is I have my parents to thank for my accounting degree (*sarcasm*). During college, I accepted an offer with the #1 accounting firm in the area (one of the Top 4 companies in the country for my field). For the past couple years, I was promoted and rewarded for my performance and I also obtained my CPA license (pretty big deal in accounting).

While I have an accounting background, I really want to get back in the psychology field I would really like to obtain a PhD in I/O and I feel that my accounting background would indirectly help me in this pursuit. However, I have quite a few barriers that are keeping me from applying:

Cum GPA: 3.37

Psych GPA: 3.5

GRE: Yet to be taken but based on practice tests, I expect around 1300-1400

LITTLE TO NO RESEARCH EXPERIENCE!

My average GPA is a result of not being the best at juggling a double major, especially one that I never had an interest in. But there is nothing I can do about it at this point. I am working on my research experience - I am currently volunteering with a professor at a nearby university. I am working on a research project with the professor with the hopes of preparing posters that will be accepted at several upcoming conferences.

My question is, based on the above criteria, can you please help me assess my chances of getting into a Master's or PhD program for the Fall of 2010? I am trying to figured out if I should even apply to schools this year. To me it seems my best option is to wait it out another year - get some research experience (is 1 year enough before applying?) and have a strong LOR from that professor.

Any advice/thoughts would be very much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I have no way of assessing your chances, but it does seem that you're doing all the right things with gaining research experience and preparing for the GRE.

You're going to need more than one LOR. I've seen programs that allow, for people like yourself who have been out of school for a while, to get a LOR from an employer.