IR masters programs with most funding

Which top and upper-mid tier International relations masters programs generally offer a lot of funding? I understand it differs between applicants, but was wondering if certain programs/schools offer more than others. I understand Princeton offers essentially full funding, so what other schools are generous?

Tough question with a lot of variance. However, I've seen a lot of people on this board get full-rides plus a 20k stipend or some form of generous aid from the Ford School at U Michigan. It's not guaranteed like Princeton but Ford, among other top programs, seems to have deep pockets when it comes to investing in more than a few potential students.  

I think a lot of top ranked public schools will have deeper pockets, in combination with cheaper tuition, because of federal grants and what not.

Top ranked public schools in general do not have deeper pockets and as far as aid goes, it's mostly/all loans at the graduate level. However, tuition is much cheaper and if you score an opportunity to do some work for the school (Teaching/Research assistant, plentiful at Cal), you'll be eligible for partial or full fee remissions and a stipend. That's the case with Berkeley at least and I hear it's still doable at U Michigan but more spotty. Can't speak much for other schools but public schools are generous in the sense that they're cheaper overall and may have opportunities to bring tuition to 0 with a stipend.

I seem to remember Texas A&M Bush School had quite generous funding packages. Also, would fit your criteria as an upper mid-tier school. In terms of job placements, I think it's one of the more underrated schools out there. 

Top ranked public schools in general do not have deeper pockets and as far as aid goes, it's mostly/all loans at the graduate level. However, tuition is much cheaper and if you score an opportunity to do some work for the school (Teaching/Research assistant, plentiful at Cal), you'll be eligible for partial or full fee remissions and a stipend. That's the case with Berkeley at least and I hear it's still doable at U Michigan but more spotty. Can't speak much for other schools but public schools are generous in the sense that they're cheaper overall and may have opportunities to bring tuition to 0 with a stipend.

Perhaps deeper pockets was a poor choice of words. The combination of cheaper tuition and federal programs however probably helps them offer a more affordable education and perhaps more aid to students because of it. I often see the larger public schools offering more aid and research assistant packages than the top ranked private schools.

From what I have seen on this forum, duke and Pitt provide very good funding options. One of my fellow undergrads actually got a sizable scholarship to Pitt without much work experience. (She however had a high GPA and knew Spanish) I have seen a lot of duke admits on here posting funding results as well.

My two cents: while it's good to know the lay of the land and inform your expectations, I wouldn't let a school's reputation for aid or lackthereof become a factor in deciding to apply or not. Apply to a few different schools, but all ones that you can genuinely see yourself at and want to attend, and don't let the aid influence you. The amount of aid you get depends mostly on your education, work experience, and general background, and whether a school really wants someone with your characteristics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Note to yourself, some of the well-known DC schools (GWU/American especially) can be stingy on funding. When this section was more active, I saw people who got fellowships from programs such as  Columbia-SIPA, University of Chicago, Harvard, and Yale... yet none from American and GWU in D.C. (which are slighly less prestigious).

Edited by Guest

Yale Jackson does not currently provide scholarships for all students, but I would say that they seem to be quite generous overall. Many students not already financed externally seem to receive some sort of award.