Classicist moves to Religion

Cardea

I'm currently applying to Duke (MTS) and Yale (MAR in Bible) Divinity Schools. I applied to Candler in the spring and was accepted with a 75% scholarship but deferred.

My background is in philology. Here are my stats:

-Undergraduate: BA (cum magna) in Greek and Roman Studies at Rhodes College (small liberal arts college), 3.7 overall, 3.9 major

-Graduate : MA Classics (just began second year), University of Illinois, 3.12 GPA (currently)

-one year as TA, head TA this semester, Latin 101 TA in the spring

-no pubs and I've been in language coursework (and studying for exams) so not much research either

-Good recs

My interests are in New Testament but I'm also interested in Early Christianity, but not super late. I'd like to do some bridge work between NT and Early Christianity, looking at perhaps history of interpretation. I'm therefore in this liminal position of a traditional NT program and an Early Christianity program. My question is therefore two-fold:

1. What are my chances of getting in with funding into Yale or Duke? My primary concern is my current GPA which is not all that great, as well as the fact that I've not done much research.

2. Would it be better to do NT at the MA level first, and then perhaps segway into Early Christianity, or perhaps apply to a Ph.D. program (given my langauge background) in Early Christianity and just do NT stuff on the side? I know this depends a lot on the program. I could always do both of course but I currently have a lot on my plate.

I hope this all makes sense!!

Thanks.

Hi Cardea,

Congratulations on your acceptance to Candler! Your expertise in Classics and associated languages would definitely be a plus for applying to and doing well in programs in NT and early Christian origins. You are correct that your master's GPA and lack of research experience could be hindrances at the present time. However, your master's GPA may be significantly improved after this semester or after this year. In addition to raising your GPA, I suggest you utilize your research and writing opportunities so they are applied toward topics relevant to the NT and early Christianity, for example, relating Classical rhetorical practices to the writers/speakers in the NT. This interdisciplinary approach would help develop your knowledge of your current discipline, as well as helping to develop your knowledge of and experience in applying it to NT research. This could provide writing samples for your applications, and/or give you good content for your purpose statement, which would indicate to the NT/Early Christianity faculty that you have an understanding of relevant topics in the discipline and a sense of direction for your research.

You could do an MA in NT first, and this would strengthen your PhD application compared to applying without a degree in theological studies. However, you should weigh the advantages and disadvantages of an MA over against an MTS/MAR. I would not suggest applying to a NT/Early Christianity PhD program without having obtained significant experience in those fields prior to your application. The competition is intense, as would be the time pressure to complete it within the time and/or funding limits. My suggestion would be to strengthen your background and other relevant languages at the master's level prior to applying for doctoral admissions.

As for pursuing NT studies "on the side", you will need to discern to what extent you should delve into the field. There probably will not be much free time or energy apart from your major focus, and without the focus you would not be viewed as expert in the field. I suggest you ask the Author of the NT in what direction He desires to lead your heart, Cardia.