HKS, SAIS, GTown, Fletcher: GRE: Q:760 V: 590

chaz0684

I am planning on applying to SAIS, HKS, Fletcher and GTown MSFS for next fall (2010).

I just took the GRE today and got a 1350 (Q: 760, V: 590). I'm a little disappointed as my verbal I was consistently scoring in the high 600's.

I had a decent GPA (3.4) from Tufts University where I majored in IR and Political Science.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some really good recommendations.

The things that are holding me back is that I did not do well in my introductory Econ classes (a B- and a C+) but did do well in the one upper level econ class I did take (A-). I know for SAIS and GTown I would need to retake Econ before the year started, but I wanted to show that I was strong through my GRE to overcome my low econ grades...

I've been out of school three years, last two years working as a consultant in government. Speak two dialects of Chinese, studied abroad, am a minority.

Is it worth retaking the GRE?

Sounds pretty competitive for Fletcher. Can't speak too much to SAIS or GTown, but HKS might -- just might -- be turned off by the low V score.

What have you been doing for the government these past couple of years?

Out of curiosity: are you Chinese? I'm trying to piece together the "two dialects of Chinese" bit and how impressive the AdComm would find that.

I am ethnically Chinese but born in the states. I am a native speaker of Cantonese and became fluent in Mandarin during college. I don't know if that makes it any less or more impressive :P

I decided yesterday to retake the test. I read the forums and someone wrote if you are going to invest $100,000 in school might as well be willing to invest another $150 if you know you can do better. That seemed to make a lot of sense to me.

Also I was planning on applying early to Fletcher, it's non-binding, but does anyone know if that helps at all? I went to a grad school fair yesterday and seemed like they really like taking back people who went there undergrad so that was encouraging...

In terms of government work, it's been a lot of process improvement stuff, working with USDA, ICE, and some other federal agencies.

• 4 weeks later...

I am ethnically Chinese but born in the states. I am a native speaker of Cantonese and became fluent in Mandarin during college. I don't know if that makes it any less or more impressive :P

I decided yesterday to retake the test. I read the forums and someone wrote if you are going to invest $100,000 in school might as well be willing to invest another $150 if you know you can do better. That seemed to make a lot of sense to me.

Also I was planning on applying early to Fletcher, it's non-binding, but does anyone know if that helps at all? I went to a grad school fair yesterday and seemed like they really like taking back people who went there undergrad so that was encouraging...

In terms of government work, it's been a lot of process improvement stuff, working with USDA, ICE, and some other federal agencies.

Would you mind saying which company, firm, or government department you worked for? I've been applying for jobs as a political or government relations consultant with different organizations. Do you know if it or similar companies have any openings? I have a background in Arabic not Chinese.