School Psychology EdS Programs in US

coldplate

Hi all,

Recently I've done more research and talked to someone and found out that the field does seem to fit me, some aspects of mixed counseling + assessment as well as working with a diverse population ranging from children to middle school. As I was originally primarily focused on counseling, school psychology seems to be a option on the same helping field yet its roles are a little more diverse and encompasses different aspects of helping (including assessment and evaluation) and talking to parents, which I seem to enjoy.

I'm trying to narrow down 4 EdS programs from the United States specifically for my applications later this year. Thank you iphi for helping me a lot, and it seems like U of Minnesota & LaHigh are some good fits for me.

Anyone whether currently in a EdS program or has been one or know anything about the field can suggest some good programs for me in the US? Will check them out 1 by 1 and definitely appreciate all sorts of input.

Factors I consider:

- Location (preferably urban, though rural isn't really a big no-no for me)

- Reputation of a generally safe area/city (not a lot of violence/gangs {I'm uninformed in this area, but i know this is a big concern for my parents as they've never studied in America})

- Good reputation for their EdS program, preferably with decent faculty if anyone can speak to that

Thank you in advance!

Do you have specific geographic preference (i.e. do you want to be in the north, south, east, west, midwest, etc.?) I can speak to some programs in the south and northeast but nowhere else since I haven't looked elsewhere haha

Not really, so as long as the area has a reputation of somewhat safe (I know that's subjective), so yes, all input please and very appreciated!

I'm currently in an EdS program and I personally think this is a very tough call. The reason is because, in reality, you're probably going to get very similar training in all accredited programs so the decision is very personal.

I love the following about my program:

-Practicum beginning first semester and continuing both years

-Small cohort

-Faculty involved in the community

-A few classes with other departments (lets you get to know other fields!)

-Core classes taken at the beginning of the program

Things I wish were different:

-My community is very small. My husband and I will definitely have to move for internship, most likely to another state. I wish I thought about where I wanted to be for the long term.

-There is ZERO funding. I will have over $80,000 in loans from the program. There are definitely cheaper programs out there.

I am currently at the University of Montana in Missoula. I LOVE it here and would definitely recommend it. It's a fantastic place to live. (But there are downsides, too.)

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my friends in EdS programs are spread throughout Ohio and Indiana. As far as I know, they all have a generous amount of funding for their programs, a small cohort and interactive faculty, and immediate placement into practicum into the first semester. I'm in a PsyD school psychology program and I absolutely love it. Go school psychology!!! :)