Security Studies at UCF

Hi everyone!

As many of you probably know, UCF's Political Science Department has started the security studies doctoral program since 2013. As far as I have searched the net, there is no reliable information on the quality of the program. I was wondering if anyone who has experience of the program could explain more about that.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I've been eyeing this program myself! 

The courses look interesting and apparently UCF has a decent amount of fellowships that can be applied for. It's a program that only started recently and so far the most critical thing I've seen was a one-star review on the UCF Poli Sci dept.'s Facebook page from a disgruntled graduate student. 

However, my concern would be that it's at some distance from places I'd imagine would hire Poli Sci grads with a Security Studies or IR focus, albeit their brochure does hint at UCF's historical connection to the space coast and aerospace industry. 

Thanks for the reply. I also have seen some negative views on poliscirumors. Do you know anyone who can provide more information? I mean, someone who is a student at UCF's Political Science Department.

Edited by Pinar2014

I'd take anything on poliscirumors with a grain of salt. I don't know any current doctoral candidates or students there, just someone who applied to the program before deciding against it to pursue other interests/goals and mentioned that getting accepted was a pretty painless process. 

Edited by Authorization

• 1 month later...

They require 62 hours of course work beyond a masters. Which is absurdly strange, almost unheard of. Outside of that I don't know much, but would like to hear more myself