Classics Proseminar

Talmid

Hi everyone. I could use your help if you have ever taken a classics Proseminar course at the graduate level. In a couple months I’ll start UGA’s online post-bac certificate in classical languages, and the program requires the same Proseminar course as offered to resident MA students. According to the course description, the class covers “bibliography, methodology, and history of classical scholarship.” While I wait for the department to release a syllabus, can any of you offer advice to help me prepare in advance? I have a little time to read ahead. What resources can you recommend I study in these next two months? I’ve already read John Sandy’s history on classical scholarship (3 vols.) and David Schap’s handbook for classical research, and I have Fred Jenkins’ work on reference literature. I found some old syllabi online from other universities, and one school required the Oxford History of the Classical World and another Bernard Knox’s The Oldest Dead White European Males. Thus I’ve read these as well. What more should read?

Thanks for your help.

What a pleasant surprise! Small world, isn't it? I heard three people were admitted to the program. By any chance were you recommended by Dr. Illa FlOra? He wrote my recommendation, and he told me he had written a letter for another applicant to this program. I've thought about creating a Facebook group just for our fellow post-bac students. Would you be interested in connecting this way?

• 1 month later...

What a pleasant surprise! Small world, isn't it? I heard three people were admitted to the program. By any chance were you recommended by Dr. Illa FlOra? He wrote my recommendation, and he told me he had written a letter for another applicant to this program. I've thought about creating a Facebook group just for our fellow post-bac students. Would you be interested in connecting this way?

Drat—I'm so sorry—just saw this. No, my rec is from Dr. Andrew Lear. But yes, I'd absolutely be into a Facebook group!