new round

foldingtime

It's a new media program, isn't it? Yeah, I looked at several new media programs early on in the process (there was a really cool one at Georgia Tech, for instance), but the emphasis with them is a little off for two reasons. 1) They're almost strictly McLuhan on (so...1940's and after, and anything that comes before is barely studied) and 2) it's strictly technology.

My interest in the field did actually start with my love of technology, but, it's grown to include the idea of information itself - an idea that doesn't include technology by default. Basically, I realized that the problem I have is that we all talk and talk and talk about "information" and "technology" and "power" and all this other crap, but separating the wheat from the chaff is almost impossible - everyone's got an opinion, but hardly any of them are well thought out! I just find the mounds of information we generate when talking about information is very difficult to sort through. So, it seems to me that if I can get a good grasp on why we believe what we believe - on where those ideas originated and how they have evolved over time - then it will be a lot easier for me to understand when someone has a good point....or a bad one. Why people are willing to kill themselves or each other for knowledge. Why some people consider knowledge dangerous and others consider it fundamental to peace. Why some people say the Internet will save mankind and others say it will destroy us. What is it about "information" that makes people react so powerfully?

Anyway....most people don't totally understand what I am getting at. First because it isn't as easy as saying "I would like to study the philosophical work of Henry James." Second because everyone hears the word "information" and the automatic reaction is to want to append "technology" on to the end of it. And third because I'm probably explaining it like crap. But apparently one of the first things a grad student is supposed to do is figure out a good, concise way to describe their research interests, so I'm kind of refining it as I go (and slowly getting better)! Feel free to tell me what makes sense or doesn't....

What about you? I am recalling it was English or something (my memory is really appalling...sorry).

Just got officially rejected from Berkeley. I wasn't actually expecting to get in (that whole "writing the 15 page writing sample the night before it was due" thing fucked my app up), but it does mean that there's only Chicago left.

sorry art, no idea, i didn't apply there myself. though from someone with unofficial rejections up the wazzoo (people posting "i got in!" on this site when i haven't yet heard anything...) don't let it kill you a little everyday. just figure you've got somewhere to go at the very least, and count yourself lucky you aren't focusing all your time now into putting the infamous "back up plan" into reality. congratulations on getting in somewhere! that's awesome- esp. if you are international, from what i hear that's even harder.