Can I enter the US with a one way ticket on J1+J2 visas?

beefgallo

Yes, in my experience with a previous J-1 visa and traveling with my J-2 dependent, we entered the US with one way plane tickets and it was OK. You are not expected to know when you are leaving exactly.

But this was my previous experience (a few years ago). If not sure, you may want to ask your School's  international office.

I was a Fulbright scholar and the program bought my ticket, it was one way. But now that I remember, my J-2 had a two way ticket, but it was because he needed to get back a few months after and stay home for a couple of weeks, regardless if I could travel with him or not.

But I don't really think it should be an issue at all. I mean, you are in for a long time in the US and the same that applies to you as a J-1 holder, applies to your dependent. But then again, if in doubt, ask your School.

Edited by Crafter

No, you do not need a return ticket to enter the US on J1/J2 visas for graduate school. It's not possible to know when you will leave next when you are here for such a long time! I have entered the US on J-1 (and my spouse on J-2) 3 times since 2012 and every time I entered on a one way ticket.

I can see that you might be expected to have a return ticket if you are on J-1/J-2 for a short program or if you were entering on other visas for a short trip (it would be suspicious if you said you were visiting a family member for 2 weeks but only have a one way ticket, for example).