Does One Non-Academic LoR Hurt?

OK, long story short--I know you are supposed to have three academic LoRs, and I'm only two years out of undergrad, so honestly I should just have three academic LoRs. 

My issue is that one professor, who has promised me a letter in the past, just doesn't deliver. And not just any prof, my thesis advisor, whose classes I took for half of college (a very "abstracted professor" type). I applied to law school this past cycle (I'm going for a JD/MA this upcoming year), and despite repeated promises to upload a LoR, he just... never did. After about six months, I gave up. I don't want to try asking him again, both because I don't want to be a letter down at the last minute, and because I'm still pretty upset, to be honest. 

I have two other academic letters, from reliable people, but I'm wondering if it will hurt me to use as a third letter someone from my office, who is sort of a "big name" in the relevant field. He also wrote me a letter for law school (he stepped up at the last minute when Space Cadet never turned his in). Will this really hurt my application? Should I start reaching out to professors I don't know very well to see if they're willing, just to get that 3? 

Input appreciated--thanks very much. And sorry if this has been asked and answered anywhere, I haven't been on GradCafe in a couple years. 

I don't think 1 out of 3 non-academic LOR will hurt you enough to have to worry about it. It's too bad that your thesis advisor could not write you a LOR though. Is there no way to reach out to this person again and make it work this time?

Out of the two choices you present, and with the information given, I would choose a letter from a non-academic that knows my work well over a professor that does not know me at all. 

I don't think 1 out of 3 non-academic LOR will hurt you enough to have to worry about it. It's too bad that your thesis advisor could not write you a LOR though. Is there no way to reach out to this person again and make it work this time?

Out of the two choices you present, and with the information given, I would choose a letter from a non-academic that knows my work well over a professor that does not know me at all. 

OK. Thank you for the reassurance. 

I could try and reach out again, I just feel like the chances of him actually following through are about nil. I know the professional recommender will definitely go to bat for me, though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think this will hurt you--especially if the non-academic person really "brings it" --uses a lot of detail and examples to talk you up. I'd approach the person you want to write it and see if you can cultivate a good letter together. That way you know it'll be great (and even better, you know it'll actually get sent in). 

On a non-help but moral note, I'd consider writing your adviser an email one last time. Not asking for a letter, but something respectful yet direct on his/her actions. This is an example from a site that goes over LOR pitfalls.

"Thank you for your advisement during my undergraduate career, I realize you’re busy and appreciate your time. Because you’ve not submitted any letters of recommendation for me, I am concerned that you may feel I underperformed in some areas. I’d really like to use this opportunity to improve on any areas you feel I’m lacking, so if you’d feel comfortable sharing those elements, it would be very beneficial to my academic development.  Because I am still very serious about going to graduate school next year, it may be better for me to obtain a letter from someone who doesn’t have any reservations and is up to date on the advances I've made. Again, thank you for putting as much time into this as you have, I appreciate your mentorship and hope you’ll continue to let me know how I can improve as a student.”

I don't mean to imply that they think you're a shitty student, but an email like this lets you point out their error in a way that might get a response. If nothing else it may help a student in the future. 

Also, sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine a situation more frustrating than getting screwed that way repeated.