Bombed the GRE and Devastated

IheartClinicalPsych

I took the GRE for the first time yesterday (and what I thought would be the only time) and I basically failed it. I studied a pretty decent amount, knew almost all of the vocababulary, but I ended up getting 430 on Q and 400 on V. I was so shocked because in practice tests I was getting about 500 Q and 600 V. I am so sad. When I saw those awful scores I just about started crying on the spot.

My 5 year plan of getting a PhD in Clinical Psyh nearly diminished right at that moment.

I will admit that I am not good at math, and despite practice, I sitll cannot perform well on the test due to time and I also panic and forget what to do.

However, I thought I was doing great on the verbal section. I really felt like I was going to get around a 700. But I was completely wrong.

I have decided that I need to take it again. So I will be re-taking it in about a month.

Sorry, I just needed to vent.

I want to get my PhD and becmome a clinician so bad. I just am so worried now that I won't get accepted.

Hi

I am in your position as well. It is horrible. I studied a pretty decent amount all summer, but was still not getting a lot of the math sections. I was pre-testing in the 600s though. I went in and got a 600 on the V (I thought I would get at least a 650) and a 410 on quant! Horrible truly horrible. I am so afraid that I won't be able to get the score up and my chances of getting my doctorate will be dashed.

I am working through the GRE Math Bible now and plan to retake at the end of November. I just feel like crap.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I am taking my GRE for the first time in a few weeks, and pretty scared too. But don't let this get you down. Your GRE is probably the least important part of your application, honestly. Re-take it.( Make sure you spend extra time on the first few questions of each section.) And ACE your writing sample and SOP. Those are way more important than some silly standardized test.

Good luck.

Thanks! I really appreciate your advice! I just scheduled a session with a math tutor, and I am studying vocab every moment possible. I think it is more about learning the relationship of the words, and learning how to read the passages effectively in the V section. Is the writing sample a paper I have already written for a previous class? I don't even know where to begin with my SOP! I am so worried!

I'm sure the writing sample varies from field to field. I'm an English applicant, and I am just revising a paper I wrote my senior year.

As for the SoP, I was really, really struggling with this. I've been mulling over ideas, and brainstorming, and generally floundering around for a few weeks. Finally, I just bit the bullet. All day yesterday and most of today I have been trying to work on my SoP. I went to bed last night practically having anxiety dreams about about the stupid 2-page essay. But then, finally, I broke through. It's far from complete, but I have a beginning, a middle, and an end, and something resembling a thesis.

I would recommend doing something similar if you are struggling. Just isolate yourself with some research and a notebook, and keep writing, even if it is the same thing every over sentence.

Personally, I am terrified of the GRE (and GRE Literature that I have to take), so I'm trying to put all my energy into presenting myself well in writing. I'm probably studying *less* than I should be, but I know that the SoP and WS matter more. At least, that is what I'm telling myself. My own writing seems like something I can have better control over, you know?

Good luck! Promise to talk me down when I get to the end of October, and I've bombed the test. :)