Neurobiology Classes

Aprilzoe

I'm planning on going to grad school in neurobiology, but I go to a small liberal arts school that doesn't offer many neurobiology classes. Should I find a way to take neuroanatomy, neural development, etc. at another institution? I don't want to spend the money unless it would significantly improve my chances of getting into a good grad school. 

If you are currently working toward's a bachelor's, then you might be in a good position to take neurobiology courses before you graduate.

1.) See if your school allows you to take classes at another university at the same tuition rate as the school you currently go to.

or

2.) Just take whatever neurobiology course your school offers.

The fact that you've conducted research on Parkinson's Disease seems good; it should help you out depending on the kind of lab. What kind of lab are you working in? Meaning, what about Parkinson's Disease do they study?

EDIT:: Oh and simply taking a course wouldn't significantly improve your chances, but it doesn't hurt you if you do well in it. It's better to work in a research lab, though. Just my opinion.

Edited by ravyn

Thanks for your help :)

My school allows me to take classes at other institutions, but those institutions don't offer many neurobiology classes either. I've head that neuroanatomy is pretty much a prereq for neuroscience grad school; is that true? 

Thanks for your help :)

My school allows me to take classes at other institutions, but those institutions don't offer many neurobiology classes either. I've head that neuroanatomy is pretty much a prereq for neuroscience grad school; is that true? 

Neurobiology graduate student here.  You don't necessarily need to take any neurobiology classes and for most programs there aren't really any prereqs.  

Edited by stmwap

Neurobiology graduate student here.  You don't necessarily need to take any neurobiology classes and for most programs there aren't really any prereqs.

Non-neurobiology graduate student here, I rotated in a two neurobiology-focused laboratories, so I see no problem with looking at other biomedical sciences as long as several faculty there have an interest in neuroscience. I highly doubt you'll be at a disadvantage in your career if you have a PhD in genetics when you were working on a neurological disorder.