Thanks and GRE Advice

history_geek

I wanted to come here and just say thank you to everyone that helped me find material and understand sections of the GRE. I posted a score in the 71st percentile, a 20 point jump. Thank you to all of you!

For those of you looking for a bit of advice, take a breath! The GRE is annoying and a bear, if you did not study. However, I'm assuming most of us here are studying and getting a grasp for the actual test. When you get into that room, take a seat and just breath. You have been studying for weeks, some of us even months. You know exactly what is going to be on it and how to approach every problem that will be on it.

As the test starts, remember to pace yourself. Do not spend 3 or 4 minutes on any question, mark it and move on to the next question, if you have time at the end then go back and do that question again. I made the mistake of doing a logarithmic problem for 4 minutes and ended up rushing the last 3 questions of the first math section. The next section, I paced myself and realized that I had almost 7 minutes to go back and look over the work. Pacing yourself and breathing makes the test easier and less stressful.

Pace is not the only thing to keep in mind. Make sure to take your 10 minute break! I saw several people push through the break and they were losing concentration by the 4 hour mark. The GRE is not a sprint! On your break, go the bathroom, get  some water (pop/soda has sugar and will make you tired and so will energy drinks once the chemicals wear off), and bring a small snack (a granola bar or a piece of fruit). Replenishing your body for the final push is going to help you a lot, but do not eat or drink a lot. You have to sit for another hour and a half without a break and going to the bathroom will force you to rush, regardless of your pacing.

Remember to breath and realize that you can take the GRE again if you do not like your score. Best of luck to all of you taking the GRE in the coming months!