Simmons versus Widener

Hello!

I am so happy to have found this discussion board as I am in desperate need of a little feedback. I was looking into several online MSW programs (USC, SImmons, The Catholic University of America, St. Leo University, University of New England, Widener, Arizona State, Western New Mexico, and University of South Florida). As you can see, this is a large list, so I narrowed it down based on cost, reputation, clinical concentration, and course offerings...

I have now applied to both Simmons College and Widener University. Does anyone have feedback on either? I like that both have clinical concentrations available online, are somewhat affordable, and have good reputations... What like most about Simmons are the syncronous classes and great reputation. What I love about Widener is the variety of electives offered in things like social work with HIV infected individuals, etc. Widener is a bit less expensive than Simmons. Simmons is a bit more reputable than Widener.

I am conflicted... I would love other opions. :)

Christina

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I am so happy to have found this discussion board as I am in desperate need of a little feedback. I was looking into several online MSW programs (USC, SImmons, The Catholic University of America, St. Leo University, University of New England, Widener, Arizona State, Western New Mexico, and University of South Florida). As you can see, this is a large list, so I narrowed it down based on cost, reputation, clinical concentration, and course offerings...

I have now applied to both Simmons College and Widener University. Does anyone have feedback on either? I like that both have clinical concentrations available online, are somewhat affordable, and have good reputations... What like most about Simmons are the syncronous classes and great reputation. What I love about Widener is the variety of electives offered in things like social work with HIV infected individuals, etc. Widener is a bit less expensive than Simmons. Simmons is a bit more reputable than Widener.

I am conflicted... I would love other opions. :)

Christina

Hello,

I am currently a student in Widener's online MSW program. I started the program in January. I really like the program structure. Widener's classes are also a synchronous environment. There are discussions, quizzes, and/or assignments due weekly depending on the class. I come from a background of working in athletics, so when I first started I felt like I wasn't going to understand anything. Overall, I feel that it's a great program and I have grown a lot since I started. If you have any specific questions you'd like answered, let me know.

Hello,

Did you end up being accepted into Widener? How was the admissions process?

The admissions process is pretty straightforward. Unless anything has changed since I applied last year, a program manager is in contact with you to help you through the entire admissions process. You'll need to complete an application, submit your transcripts, resume, statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation. Once everything is complete, you wait for an admissions decision. You can request information on Widener's online MSW program website and a program manager will call you to talk about the program. That is what helped me in my decision to apply to Widener.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have been accepted to Widener, how competitive of an application pool do you think it is? My undergrad academic record was far from stellar and I don't want to waste the admission department's time by applying when I don't have a decent shot of getting in there.

I really do not know how to answer that question... I was accepted, but I have a pretty good record thanks to attending school as an adult and not a fresh from high school teenager! I would say apply, write a really strong and impressive personal statement, and give it all you got.