International Education and Work Experience

optimusrhyme

Does anyone know if an IE masters program would accept an applicant with little work experience?

I am currently working in Santiago, Chile as a literacy teacher for an education development organization, but I am returning to the states in December and am worried that my only 6 months of work here will hurt my chances of being accepted into an IE program. I received my B.S. in English Education (high school) this past January and have just worked full-time as a substitute teacher since then before coming here to Chile this past June. Will my little work experience doom my application?

Do these programs like IE and policy usually only accept mid-career professionals?

• 1 month later...

Nathaniel,

When I was visiting George Washington and American University this summer, I noticed that all of the IE students I talked to were quite young. One GW girl had had about a half-year to a year professional experience, but I dont know if she had anything more. However, I believe GW prefers that applicants have two years working experience before applying, and yet she was stll an IE student. In fact, when I was talking to the students at GW and AU, they didn't mention anything about needing work experience.

So, it seems as though there is not a specific pattern to applicants' work experience and I would suggest apply to grad schools while also applying to work-related programs at the same time.

I know this has been quite vague, but I hope it helps anyway!

Nathaniel,

When I was visiting George Washington and American University this summer, I noticed that all of the IE students I talked to were quite young. One GW girl had had about a half-year to a year professional experience, but I dont know if she had anything more. However, I believe GW prefers that applicants have two years working experience before applying, and yet she was stll an IE student. In fact, when I was talking to the students at GW and AU, they didn't mention anything about needing work experience.

So, it seems as though there is not a specific pattern to applicants' work experience and I would suggest apply to grad schools while also applying to work-related programs at the same time.

I know this has been quite vague, but I hope it helps anyway!

Thanks for the response! That information does help; it seems schools realize the state of the job market!

Cheers