Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

16 minutes ago, wannabeDr said:

Altikr25 do you mind telling us who informed you about the decisions? We have heard something different. Thanks

I'm not sure who informed altikr but Dr. Sullivan, the graduate director, informed me. I live in Cincy and work with a couple of professors at UC; they have chosen their 15. 

19 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

I'm not sure who informed altikr but Dr. Sullivan, the graduate director, informed me. I live in Cincy and work with a couple of professors at UC; they have chosen their 15. 

We also asked today, and they told us that they will meet one final time before making the final decisions.

They *may* meet a second time in Feb if people decline offers but unfortunately final decisions have been made. Now we just have to hope that a few people decline offers. Then they will look at the applicant pool a second time, as per Dr. Sullivan. 

3 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

They *may* meet a second time in Feb if people decline offers but unfortunately final decisions have been made. Now we just have to hope that a few people decline offers. Then they will look at the applicant pool a second time, as per Dr. Sullivan. 

Don't you think that from all the MS students no one getting an email is kinda suspicious? I mean 0 people got accepted from their own MS?

Just now, Partinrn said:

If this is the case - why not send out the emails? It just seems odd that they would wait to advise the applicants and let so many conflicting stories publicly circulate...

31 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

I agree. They have chosen the 15. But i was just saying that they have yet to inform all fifteen, I think. 

5 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

I agree. They have chosen the 15. But i was just saying that they have yet to inform all fifteen, I think. 

Do you mind telling us who informed you about this?

3 minutes ago, Kylie_ said:

Has anyone heard anything from Albany?

Someone told me last Monday that he was accepted.

I haven't heard anything from Albany, and if nobody else has, that seems late. 

On the UC thing: I know the gossip is going in multiple directions, but thanks to everyone for trying to provide an accurate description of what is going on (especially Partinrn, who gave us the initial report, and altikr25, who called (?) to find out about the emails). Hopefully one of us will be admitted soon and can inform the board that the emails have indeed been sent out. I know it will calm me down considerably, even if the news is bad. :-)

9 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

I am also curious about the source of this information, especially if it was received over the phone. I am just trying to understand where the disconnect is, as I have been in pretty close contact with Dr. S/Jean as a MS student. Thanks guys - I am sure it will all be resolved soon. 

7 minutes ago, phdapplying said:

I am also curious about the source of this information, especially if it was received over the phone. I am just trying to understand where the disconnect is, as I have been in pretty close contact with Dr. S/Jean as a MS student. Thanks guys - I am sure it will all be resolved soon. 

It was both face to face and over an email. I work with Dr. Nedelec and am very close to Sullivan. They have picked the 15 but may not have sent out the emails yet. They have received over 100 apps for 15 spots, which is extremely high for UC. 

It's a top notch program, totally understand!! Rowdy is fun, as long as it doesn't seem nasty-which it doesn't. 

I am surprised so many results have appeared before Feb.! 

Edited by liesandfish
Sounded WAY to Southern. ;)

By the way, @nerdyjilly you are NOT old, and you sound like you have a lot of other pros going for you, if you aren't confident in your GRE. Honestly, your GRE doesn't sound that horrible! I think experience is important and makes up for any cracks in GRE. 

How awesome! Pastry chef to Crim PhD applicant? What a cool life, I bet your daughter gets some great desserts while listening to nerdy academic talk. ;) 

18 hours ago, liesandfish said:

By the way, @nerdyjilly you are NOT old, and you sound like you have a lot of other pros going for you, if you aren't confident in your GRE. Honestly, your GRE doesn't sound that horrible! I think experience is important and makes up for any cracks in GRE. 

How awesome! Pastry chef to Crim PhD applicant? What a cool life, I bet your daughter gets some great desserts while listening to nerdy academic talk. ;) 

I agree. You definitely have the drive, will, and determination. You will do great things and any school would be lucky to have someone with your qualities. 

Hi guys! I'm seeking opinions from you all, as ya'll are similarly situated. What are the pros and cons of a criminology program over a sociology program? That is, why did you choose a criminology program over a sociology program, and is it better to attend a top 5 crim program or a sociology program that ranks in the 20-40 range? 

Out of curiousity (and having no clue how I am going to decide!) do any of you have a plan for how you are going to choose your school? Are you going strictly on funding? Feel/fit? Ranking or prestige? Other influences? I would love to hear a little about this! 

2 minutes ago, 2016Applicant said:

Hi guys! I'm seeking opinions from you all, as ya'll are similarly situated. What are the pros and cons of a criminology program over a sociology program? That is, why did you choose a criminology program over a sociology program, and is it better to attend a top 5 crim program or a sociology program that ranks in the 20-40 range? 

For me, the pros cons are that crim is more where I am interested/passionate and what my background is in. I did apply to one soc program but the more I think about it the more I don't think I will accept even if I get in (which is HIGHLY unlikely that I will). I honestly don't know that much about sociology in general other than that is where Crim originated/similar philosophies- but I have only ever taken one sociology class in both an undergrad and masters. I guess my advice would be to go with which one is more your passion, as the overlap will happen regardless. And I have no idea about soc rankings, so I can't really help with that. Sorry!! 

I hope this helped you a little, sorry it's scatter brained! 

@liesandfish Thanks so much for the input! It's not scattered brain at all! While my current interests lie at the heart of criminology, my concern is that I may be placing unknown future limitations on myself by choosing a criminology program. It is essentially a facet of sociology and if 10 years from now, my interests shift to some other aspect of race that isn't criminology focused (i.e.: education) I would be limited in how i could approach that topic. Has anyone else thought this a dilemma??  

Also, to answer your other question, I think ranking and fit are obviously guiding my decisions. Funding is something that could always be negotiated and for me, I don't weigh it heavily enough to essentially influence the course of my future (i.e.: the phd program you attends influences what job you land afterward etc. etc.). With that said, I have to give it some weight as I can't afford to pay out of pocket :P