Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

@2016Applicant think your answer gives you an answer! Most people going to criminology/CJ programs do not think of it as a subset of sociology, but as its own thing. While Crim is rooted in Soc, to me it is a completely different area, and not just a subtopic or focus. I think that if you are feeling as though it's not strong enough to stand on its own, that going to sociology route is probably suited better for you, with a focus in Crim areas. :) and don't forget that just because your degree ends up in Soc or Crim, doesn't mean you can't do research in another topic or area! Also, how do you know a top 5 is doable for Crim but not Soc? 

(not meant to sound douchey, we all know how interconnected these areas are, just saying how you stated seems clear that Sociology is your primary passion! And sorry the above sounds self-contradictory, I hope you understand what I am trying to say) 

Thanks for the input on consideration of program. I definitely think future job market matters, I'm just weighing whether a top prestige program is more important than a potentially up and coming program! Lots to think about.......

Edited by liesandfish
Clarification

3 hours ago, liesandfish said:

Out of curiousity (and having no clue how I am going to decide!) do any of you have a plan for how you are going to choose your school? Are you going strictly on funding? Feel/fit? Ranking or prestige? Other influences? I would love to hear a little about this! 

That's a great question, fish. Personally I feel that fit and prestige or recognition are my driving forces for my decision. As I have stated before in this thread, I have been accepted to a couple "lower" ranked programs as well as FSU. For what I want to do career wise (research with a little bit of teaching on the side), FSU has the other schools beat, hands down.  That being said, I don't see myself attending a school without some sort of funding, so that plays a part as well. As of right now I'm definitely attending Florida State. Top notch research university and Dr. Beaver's work is in the same vein as what I've been doing for a couple of years. 

23 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

That's a great question, fish. Personally I feel that fit and prestige or recognition are my driving forces for my decision. As I have stated before in this thread, I have been accepted to a couple "lower" ranked programs as well as FSU. For what I want to do career wise (research with a little bit of teaching on the side), FSU has the other schools beat, hands down.  That being said, I don't see myself attending a school without some sort of funding, so that plays a part as well. As of right now I'm definitely attending Florida State. Top notch research university and Dr. Beaver's work is in the same vein as what I've been doing for a couple of years. 

Thanks for the response, Partinrn! This is where I am struggling because while I LOVE research, I ultimately want to end up at a R2 type place. I want more of an equal balance of research and teach responsibilities, so I generally like a little more nurturing environment (for lack of a better word).  On the other hand, I like that FSU would really challenge me and push me to do better which would in the end effect both my research and teaching. And then funding, I have received funding from everywhere I have been accepted except FSU. (Side note: emailed a coordinator funding decision should be emailed within the next two weeks or so). And as I am not independently wealthy, I need some sort of funding. 

Partinrn, biosocial right? At least if we both end up at FSU, no competition for what we are interested in! Definitely think you would have a lot of great opportunities for that there. :) 

What a stress. I think I am going to have to visit the top contenders for me before I decide. 

Edited by liesandfish
Forgot to comment something

8 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Thanks for the response, Partinrn! This is where I am struggling because while I LOVE research, I ultimately want to end up at a R2 type place. I want more of an equal balance of research and teach responsibilities, so I generally like a little more nurturing environment (for lack of a better word).  On the other hand, I like that FSU would really challenge me and push me to do better which would in the end effect both my research and teaching. And then funding, I have received funding from everywhere I have been accepted except FSU. (Side note: emailed a coordinator funding decision should be emailed within the next two weeks or so). And as I am not independently wealthy, I need some sort of funding. 

Partinrn, biosocial right? At least if we both end up at FSU, no competition for what we are interested in! Definitely think you would have a lot of great opportunities for that there. :) 

What a stress. I think I am going to have to visit the top contenders for me before I decide. 

Yep, biosocial is my main focus. My alternative focus is policing. I would not be upset attending any school I've been accepted to and I do think schools without the prestige have many things going for them. My concern would be job prospects after the PhD. 

12 hours ago, Partinrn said:

I am quite worried about funding with FSU, however. I know they a fund a majority of their students, but this is stressing me out. 

May I ask where else you've been accepted? Did the other schools fund you? If so, you should be really happy to have been accepted with funding somewhere. FSU will do what it does, but you've got options! That's great! I don't think reputation matters as much as some people think.

1 hour ago, phdincrim2016 said:

May I ask where else you've been accepted? Did the other schools fund you? If so, you should be really happy to have been accepted with funding somewhere. FSU will do what it does, but you've got options! That's great! I don't think reputation matters as much as some people think.

Absolutely: I was accepted into IUP, Sam Houston and FSU so far (according to Dr. Sullivan I didn't get into UC, at least this go around). IUP and Sam Houston are funded, FSU won't let people know for a couple of weeks. Still waiting on USF and Umass Lowell. 

11 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

Absolutely: I was accepted into IUP, Sam Houston and FSU so far (according to Dr. Sullivan I didn't get into UC, at least this go around). IUP and Sam Houston are funded, FSU won't let people know for a couple of weeks. Still waiting on USF and Umass Lowell. 

I don't know much about IUP, but Sam Houston would be a great option!!! FSU is ranked higher, but those rankings are seven years old and SHSU has excellent faculty. Good luck on USF, UMass Lowell, and FSU funding, and congrats on getting funding from the other two. That's great.

25 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

I am also waiting to hear from USF (apparently I like Florida) and my good friend from my Masters program is waiting for Umass Lowell. I definitely think it is nice to already know about acceptance and funding from other places, but I also am waiting to hear from FSU about funding before deciding. I do think that no matter where I end up they are all good options. @phdincrim2016 where all have you heard from again? I know you were waiting on some still....I can't keep it all straight! : ) 

Just now, liesandfish said:

@phdincrim2016 where all have you heard from again? I know you were waiting on some still....I can't keep it all straight! : ) 

I've heard from Irvine and Rutgers - that's it. Waiting on a number of others. I am assuming I didn't get into Mason, since I didn't get an email from them. My fingers are crossed on Cincinnati, because I want to do corrections. :-)

1 minute ago, phdincrim2016 said:

I've heard from Irvine and Rutgers - that's it. Waiting on a number of others. I am assuming I didn't get into Mason, since I didn't get an email from them. My fingers are crossed on Cincinnati, because I want to do corrections. :-)

Congrats on the two! I don't know, Mason did say they were doing their apps in waves. I applied way back in October to GM and heard back last week but I think they will do other waves of review. Fingers crossed for you on Cincinnati, great program. I also want to do corrections but with a spin of life course/social disorg. I am sure you will be ok! 

Yeah I'm praying FSU gives me something; with that being said though, I am more than happy to go to any one of the schools I applied to. I do agree with the rankings being over stressed, but there's just something about name recognition. (I must qualify this also: a UC grad is the director of Sam Houston's program and they have a dual appointment with the forensics lab looking at DNA and all that good stuff if you are interested in the biosocial perspective like I am). 

21 hours ago, Partinrn said:

USF will be meeting next week and as far as funding I am almost positive all incoming PhD get funded, not sure about the amount but they are good about that. 

1 hour ago, crimqueen said:

USF will be meeting next week and as far as funding I am almost positive all incoming PhD get funded, not sure about the amount but they are good about that. 

Definitely a relief to hear. I heard they will be meeting next week too, but was unaware about their funding. Thanks for the info. 

Also, I am sure I am freaking out for no reason, but I just checked my GM portal and the status went from decision made back to complete? I have the email letter of acceptance but I was wondering if any of you others that received acceptance did this? Or have you heard anymore from them? Thanks! 

First... I just want to say that I am SO glad that I found this thread.  I feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one obsessively checking my e-mail. :)

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back from Rutgers yet??  I saw one post that acceptance e-mails went out this week..  I checked the "check your status" portal and it still says "No decision" (which is better than the alternative).

So yeah.. hoping that I still have a shot.

4 minutes ago, 1428 Elm St said:

First... I just want to say that I am SO glad that I found this thread.  I feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one obsessively checking my e-mail. :)

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back from Rutgers yet??  I saw one post that acceptance e-mails went out this week..  I checked the "check your status" portal and it still says "No decision" (which is better than the alternative).

So yeah.. hoping that I still have a shot.

Welcome @1428 elm street @phdincrim2016 I believe has heard from Rutgers....may be more help! Good luck! 

22 hours ago, liesandfish said:

That's good to hear! How did you hear this? Glad I won't have to stress about it too much longer! 

I am in the Masters program at USF. As far as funding I really don't know what is a "good" offer, but from what I have gathered during my few years at USF there are opportunities for funding from other departments as well. For instance, if you have any interest in psych related things or can make that work a lot of people get funded through their department because they have a ton of research and funding. If you have any more questions I can try to help! Good luck!

32 minutes ago, crimqueen said:

I am in the Masters program at USF. As far as funding I really don't know what is a "good" offer, but from what I have gathered during my few years at USF there are opportunities for funding from other departments as well. For instance, if you have any interest in psych related things or can make that work a lot of people get funded through their department because they have a ton of research and funding. If you have any more questions I can try to help! Good luck!

Thank for the info @crimqueen !! One of the main reasons I applied to USF is because they made it clear they like working with other departments/faculty. Now just fingers crossed! How did you like doing your masters there? 

18 hours ago, 1428 Elm St said:

Rutgers invited 15 "finalists" to campus for an interview, and those emails went out last week. Nobody has been admitted yet, and I am not sure whether they will go beyond the 15 if they need to do so later on. The interviews are in early March, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything before that. :-/

Edited by phdincrim2016

I've been trying to stay away from discussion boards because I was so nervous about acceptances and rejections but finally I can say, I was accepted into UCI and University of Delaware with full funding and decent stipends. I was also invited out to Rutgers so I have to see what they offer funding wise before I make my final decision.

This is a stressful process! Goodness. 

22 minutes ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

I've been trying to stay away from discussion boards because I was so nervous about acceptances and rejections but finally I can say, I was accepted into UCI and University of Delaware with full funding and decent stipends. I was also invited out to Rutgers so I have to see what they offer funding wise before I make my final decision.

This is a stressful process! Goodness. 

When and how did you hear from Delaware?