Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

6 hours ago, crimqueen said:

Thanks!! I might be losing it completely but I can't find an email for contacting the grad director and it is the most unhelpful page ever :(

I can't find it either. You might want to just call the department administrative assistant and ask. They'll often at least give you a name, even if they won't give you any additional information. 

1 hour ago, liesandfish said:

I am so jealous of those of you that are making/have made the decision. I didn't realize how many variables and how stressful this process would be on this side of it. I knew the applying and waiting would be rough, but always figured the decision would be easier. 

I almost wish I was currently in school so I would be preoccupied and not have to think about this so much. 

Question: Has anyone heard from multiple professors from schools they were accepted to? How have you engaged in conversation without giving a firm accept to them? Have multiple schools had people reach out to you? I am struggling to not get overly excited about their work and my interests when I am not ready to commit to a school yet. 

I am with you - I really want this to be decided so I can make plans and know what I'm going to be doing. I don't deal well with ambiguity. I'm sure it will work out well for both of us, but I can't agree with you more. I want this DONE. :-)

I have not been hard-recruited by multiple faculty from the same school. I would say to keep your options open and be respectful, but they shouldn't be asking you to commit yet. Faculty don't tend to have the best social skills, I'll admit, but everybody is supposed to adhere to the 4/15 deadline. I don't think it's right to push people to accept before then.

On February 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM, ThesisTerror724 said:

@liesandfish These decisions can give me anxiety! Everything is a gamble really when you think about it. 

I applied to: 

American - haven't heard back

Arizona State - haven't heard back

Rutgers - They're flying me out March 3/4 for my interview 

Univ. of Delaware - accepted with full funding and they're flying me out for recruitment on February 22nd/23rd

Uc-Irvine - accepted with full funding

I'm 80% sure I'll choose UC-Irvine but Rutgers could definitely sway my decision depending on the visit. It's really close to all of the political action and I love policy. 

@ThesisTerror724 I will likely be joining you at Irvine. When did you receive funding info, if you don't mind me asking? 

9 hours ago, phdincrim2016 said:

I am with you - I really want this to be decided so I can make plans and know what I'm going to be doing. I don't deal well with ambiguity. I'm sure it will work out well for both of us, but I can't agree with you more. I want this DONE. :-)

I have not been hard-recruited by multiple faculty from the same school. I would say to keep your options open and be respectful, but they shouldn't be asking you to commit yet. Faculty don't tend to have the best social skills, I'll admit, but everybody is supposed to adhere to the 4/15 deadline. I don't think it's right to push people to accept before then.

I agree, I don't like not being able to plan at all. I can't get my brain to shut off, I'm even dreaming about decisions. UGH. 

To clarify, the faculty who have emailed me aren't exactly being pushy, in fact they have mentioned many times that I have until 4/15 (probably to cover their own butts), they just are asking if I have questions about their program, telling me about data sets I can work on, research projects, asking about my data sets, etc. I *think* the strangest thing is multiple faculty from the same schools. I am very interested in working with people but I also don't want to say more and make them think I'm either committing or rejecting, when I honestly have no idea yet. I mean i still have three apps out! 

I really appreciate your advice! I will keep replying in respectful but vague ways, to not burn the bridge but not exactly open it either. 

1 hour ago, liesandfish said:

I agree, I don't like not being able to plan at all. I can't get my brain to shut off, I'm even dreaming about decisions. UGH. 

To clarify, the faculty who have emailed me aren't exactly being pushy, in fact they have mentioned many times that I have until 4/15 (probably to cover their own butts), they just are asking if I have questions about their program, telling me about data sets I can work on, research projects, asking about my data sets, etc. I *think* the strangest thing is multiple faculty from the same schools. I am very interested in working with people but I also don't want to say more and make them think I'm either committing or rejecting, when I honestly have no idea yet. I mean i still have three apps out! 

I really appreciate your advice! I will keep replying in respectful but vague ways, to not burn the bridge but not exactly open it either. 

I would just tell them exactly what's going on haha... I'm sure they remember the application process... You didn't pay all the application fees just to commit somewhere before hearing all of your options! Personally, I would write them and tell them house excited I am about the opportunities they have presented (let all your enthusiasm shine through)... Then let them know that I am still waiting to hear from all the programs I applied to and that I honestly have no idea where I will be next fall. Follow up with some additional questions about the department that reinforce your excitement about their particular program to reassure them that you have a serious interest in the school. 

On 2/2/2016 at 7:34 PM, zephiwho said:

Hello everyone,

I was hoping I could share my two-cents on this forum, as I think it could help some people. I have been a lurker on this forum for this application season.  I wanted to post my results, but I want also conclude it with a helpful (hopefully!) piece of advice.

I applied to: Northeastern, Penn State, U of Cincinnati, U of Illinois at Chicago, U of Maryland, U of Missouri at St. Louis, Old Dominion University,and  U of Delaware

I have been accepted at (so far): Penn State, U of Cincinnati, and UIC. I am also going to the campus event at Northeastern.

GRE: 161 V, 157 Q 4.5AW

Grad GPA: 4.0 / Undergrad GPA (Major): 4.0 / Undergrad Cum: ~3.6

Experience: Conferences presentations (posters & papers); RA, TA, internship mentor, and one year of co-teaching experience; internship and extensive volunteer work in my field of interest (~1 year)

Interests: Violent crimes (Intimate partner violence, sexual assault)

Update:

Wait listed at Delaware

Accepted to UMSL

Waiting on Maryland and ODU

On 2/10/2016 at 10:33 AM, KnowVac said:

I should have just waited more patiently because I heard back from UD today! I am officially wait listed but that will "likely change soon"... I'm so excited to have finally heard back from somewhere!

This may be a ridiculous question but I just don't know!... How should I respond to the email? Just let them know I'm excited about the opportunity and grateful for their consideration? 

It's very important that in your reply, you  tell them that if you get the offer you will accept it because Delaware is your number one choice. Even if you already replied,  if you didn't include a sentence like that I would send a second reply indicating that you would enthusiastically accept the offer if they made you an offer. 

Congratulations and good luck. 

@altikr25  Congrats on making the decision!!!

I am totally with @liesandfish and @phdincrim2016 ... waiting it out is such a stressful process.  I wish that I was able to apply to more than two schools... especially after being denied by one of the two schools already [not that I am complaining.. I know that I am fortunate to at least still be in it].  :)

Is anyone going to the Friday, March 4th in-person interview at John Jay?

Also... just a general question for you guys... The JJay program is hosting a dinner event the night before in the city (apparently there are a lot of out-of-towners attending)... I should definitely go right?!  Does it look like I am not as interested if I don't go?

5 hours ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

Two faculty members from Rutgers reached out to me as well as a current graduate student. I also find myself trying to convey some excitement but not too much as I'm still weighing my options and heavily leaning towards Irvine.

Those two programs are super super different. Like in a weird way i would think the decision wouldn't be toooo hard,  since you must either be an Irvine person or a Rutgers person.

2 hours ago, brokenwindow said:

Those two programs are super super different. Like in a weird way i would think the decision wouldn't be toooo hard,  since you must either be an Irvine person or a Rutgers person.

I think I know what you mean, but can you elaborate? I was admitted at Irvine and have been given indications that I am likely to be admitted at Rutgers. I will visit Rutgers in a couple of weeks, but any perspective you might offer on the differences between the two would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, 1428 Elm St said:

Also... just a general question for you guys... The JJay program is hosting a dinner event the night before in the city (apparently there are a lot of out-of-towners attending)... I should definitely go right?!  Does it look like I am not as interested if I don't go?

YES, you should attend every event they host as if you were from out of town (in my opinion). 

11 hours ago, zephiwho said:

Update:

Wait listed at Delaware

Accepted to UMSL

Waiting on Maryland and ODU

Congrats! If you don't mind, when did you hear from UMSL? And did they have a funding decision with the acceptance? I haven't heard anything yet.

11 hours ago, Cedodge said:

Congrats! If you don't mind, when did you hear from UMSL? And did they have a funding decision with the acceptance? I haven't heard anything yet.

I am not sure about funding just yet. I am waiting for the formal offer letter. They seem like a program that funds all their students.