Research-Oriented vs. Teaching-Oriented

veritas3

Salvete, omnes!

I have a question for my fellow classicists out there. I am applying to Classics Ph.D. programs in the fall. I know that some programs place a great emphasis on research (research fellowships), while others place more of an emphasis on teaching (more semesters of teaching and TAing, etc.). I personally prefer the teaching aspect of academia, and I am wondering if anyone could tell me which programs have a greater focus on teaching.

• 2 weeks later...

Salve, Veritas3!

Sorry to see your topic has been ignored for so long. Unfortunately unanswered queries is rather common for this forum after the mad rush for applications season. People forget to check this site the rest of the year.

You should probably identify WHICH country you are looking for a heavy teaching-emphasis in. British schools as I can tell are heavy into research with more "Phil.-options" than American schools. From what I can tell, British M.Phil. and D.Phil. degrees are solely by research (i.e. no coursework). Hence these are likely programs you want to avoid if you're looking more to teach.

That's almost all the advice I can offer with very limited knowledge to offer. I'm mostly chiming in so your question doesn't get ignored as my questions have in the past on this site. Last thing: you should call several graduate advisors for the best answers.

Vale, mi amice (aut amica).

If you want to do more teaching, my guess would be go for the strong public schools in Classics. UNC, UT, Michigan--probably the UCs. Prestigious fellowships actually keep grad students from teaching as much--they're their to enable you to finish faster and spend more time researching. At public schools there will be a few of these, I think, and the rest of the grad students will be teaching/TAing for financial support. At the private schools, most/all students will be on fellowships.