MSc Sustainability Management - Consulting at McKinsey?

I'll be attending the University of Toronto in the fall to pursue my MSc in Sustainability Management, a new program that combines sciences with management. U of T I understand is a target school (Rotman) for the big 4 consulting groups, and I'll be taking a few mba electives as part of the program (as well as taking all my management courses with rotman profs), but I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a gig with one of the consultancies, either as an intern as a part of the programs co-op, or as a business analyst after school.

Any thoughts?

Anything is possible: the big 4 recruit from all academic disciplines and grad programs. HOWEVER, they are highly attuned to prestigiousness and brand name; your classmates at the MBA program will be the ones who are actively recruited, not you. Taking electives at the business school is no way viewed as equivalent to actually being an MBA student. If you are talented/aggressive/lucky, your MSc should open plenty of interesting doors in consulting-like areas, but it is extremely unlikely that you would land an MBA equivalent position. This is the difference between making $100,000-$150,000 vs. $40,000-$80,000 upon graduation. 

If you are truly interested in being a consultant with a brand name firm, I would highly recommend you apply for the Rotman MBA in the first semester of your MSc (in other words, start prepping for the GMAT NOW). 

Edited by went_away

It's interesting you say that, because the program is, in a way, half MBA, half sciences. The Institute for Management and Innovation (the 'department' this and 5 other MSc programs are housed in) describes itself as a 'business school with a difference.' You would think a half-MBA, half-sciences guy/gal would be naturally cut out for big 4 consulting in 2015, no? It's a different world nowadays...things are more integrated, more cross-disciplinary, and obviously more global. There was a reason why I chose this program over an MBA, the program requires a research dissertation, a co-op, and a capstone project (i.e., more than straight management). In addition, it's set up like any other professional program and includes daily workshops, weekly guest speakers, networking events, and so on.

So question...does the U of T brand as a whole allow me to get into mckinsey et. al.? Personally I've always sought out big opportunities, so I'm not really worried about them seeking me out, I'm more concerned about whether they would give me a fair shot.

I agree with your sentiments as in that's the way the world should be, but the MBA (and really only top 7 to top 20 with dramatically lower average results the further down you get) functions as a differentiator for top employers. It sounds like you'll have ample recruiting and networking opps at UoT, but as I said earlier the MSc is very unlikely to be viewed as anywhere near the same class level as the MBA. I would encourage you to try to find employment statistics of the two programs for comparison purposes.

In addition you can easily view the bios and education histories of consultants at the big four; you'll see they are nearly 100% drawn from top MBA programs, including recent recruits. 

Edited by went_away