Combining interests in Biology and Philosophy

Peraclides

Hello guys- This is my first post here, but I've been perusing around for quite some time. 

So, I am just about to finish undergrad - with a major is in Cell Biology and a minor in Philosophy. And have been looking for programs which combine study in the Philosophy of Biology -- particular emphasis in evolutionary theory and Biology. Does anyone know of interdisciplinary programs which combine these topics? I could only find a few programs - Duke and UCSD in particular.

Many thanks for any help!

Edited by Peraclides

There is a wiki of phil bio programs here: http://philbio.net/Main_Page

It has essentially every philosophy program with at least one philosopher of biology. They're all philosophy departments, though. For interdisciplinary programs, it seems like science studies or science and technology studies programs might be a good place to look, as well. I know MIT has a really well regarded STS program, but I don't know of any other programs. I'm doing an STS certificate, and it seems like if you want a more interdisciplinary approach than what phil bio will give you, STS might be what you want. 

As an aside, the template that was used to make the phil bio wiki has been used to make wikis for other specialties, and is available if anyone wanted to make their own wiki for a specialty that isn't already covered. You can see all the current wikis or make your own here: http://philwiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

I think the best programs for integrating biology and philosophy (of biology) are not necessarily Leiter-ranked philosophy programs in philosophy of biology. Two of the best programs for this kind of thing are at the University of Cincinnati, and Arizona State University's HPS program (which is housed in the life sciences department). ASU's HPS program has Manfred Laubichler, after all, and Cincinnati has Rob Skipper.

For straight phil bio, I think the best places to go right now are UC Davis (mainly because Roberta Millstein is a boss), University of Utah (because they have like a million philosophers of biology, including Matt Haber and Melinda Fagan, who rule), and Duke (Alex Rosenberg and Robert Brandon... duh).

note: Chicago HCSS may also be a good place to do "integrative" work if Wimsatt is still involved there at all.