Queen Margaret University

Hey all,

I just finished my 2nd Bachelors  today from USU, and I wanted to get started on researching potential universities to apply next fall. My first degree was in Neuroscience from Agnes Scott College in Decatur, GA. 

I am scheduled to take the GRE next month, and I will be applying to 7 schools in Fall 2016:

George Washington University
San Diego State University
University of Washington
University of Colorado--Boulder
UNC--Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
Queen Margaret University (Edinburg, Scotland) 

(And maybe USU as a safety school, because I kept a 4.0 and they have sent me a "formal invitation" to apply to their graduate program.)

I am super excited to start the process, but I was wondering if anyone on here has applied to the program at Queen Margaret. Going to grad school in Scotland has been my pipe dream for the last 4 years, so I could really use some words of wisdom!

Thank you!

I actually wanted to apply to Queen Margaret! Unfortunately, the cost of attendance there was prohibitive for me, and their early deadline precluded my applying. I wanted to work there as well, but the visa situation is insane in the UK right now, to the point my friend's friend couldn't get a marital visa for her non-British and non-EU husband, and they had to uproot to another country in the EU with more lax immigration laws just to be together. Foreigners pursuing work there in positions not in demand (and speech is not in demand), also face a very difficult, nearly impossible visa quest. I looked into it a lot, but decided now wasn't the time for me to pursue living there. :(

Anyway, just about the program. My understanding was that bachelor's programs in the UK in speech therapy include a lot more actual clinical practice than US programs do, which tend to include little to none, and I'm not counting observation. I also understand (maybe erroneously), that with a bachelor's in speech in the UK, you are certified to actually practice speech therapy, which is wildly different from the US where the bachelor's is seen as merely a prerequisite to the master's, and the bachelor's alone is often considered "useless" as you're limited in what  you can do in the field with it. (This isn't totally unusual given UK bachelor's tend to require less unrelated coursework.) You're not certified by RCSLT with just a bachelor's, the equivalent to ASHA, but you're certified by Health and Care Professions Council, and I believe you can practice speech therapy (to some extent at least?). This was important, because UK master's programs, including Queen Margaret if I recall correctly, expected a lot more directly related experience when applying to master's programs. This could be the biggest difficulty you experience when applying, especially as someone from out of field and who just finished the second bachelor's. I also thought they required interviews? Which can also be a big financial strain if you have to fly out there. This I'm really not certain on, but I remember learning that. Don't take my word for all of this, please! I might be wrong, but this is some of the information I operated under! Hopefully it can help get you started though.

Also, I'd make sure you understand the degree classification system (and I hope you would by now!), which is different than our GPA-based system. The system is: First-class honours (1st), Second-class honours, upper division (2:1), Second-class honours, lower division (2:2), Third-class honours (3rd) and pass. A lot of programs required a 2:1 or better, and I believe this was a rigid requirement, which it looks like you'd have met easily if it's based just on your second bachelor's. QM is a 2:1, which might be a minimum of 3.33. http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.aspI'm not sure on this, and I think each university can calculate it differently. I also was sadly just below this threshold at the time of application, which is another reason I didn't apply. I would contact the department at QM and the international office to ask about degree conversion. 

Like I said, I ended up not applying due to many factors. I don't regret not applying, but if you can manage it, good luck! You'll have a lot to consider if you're accepted though!

Living the UK, particularly Scotland, is also a dream of mine. :) I really wish grad school there had worked out for me, but I'm happy where I am now. Plus, I'm inches away in my savings from travelling there this winter anyway, which is always nice. ;)

Edited by MangoSmoothie

Thank you so much MangoSmoothie. That was exactly the sort of information I needed. I think it would definitely be long shot, but now I have better information to approach it with. 

Also, I hope you get to go on vacation there! I spent a month in Glasgow, Edinburg, and the Highlands. My soul felt completely at home. 

Edited by joneskellym