Slavic 2016 and Beyond

KingNikolai1

I just had a Skype interview with Yale, and the DGS for Slavic said they will be sending admission letters in the second and third week of February.

Edited by KingNikolai1

On 1/30/2016 at 4:46 PM, KingNikolai1 said:

I just had a Skype interview with Yale, and the DGS for Slavic said they will be sending admission letters in the second and third week of February.

That could be bad news for me, as I applied to Yale. I had a long informal phone call with the DGS prior to applying, though. Who knows..

Also, how was the interview? What did the Russian part cover?

Thanks @KingNikolai1

12 minutes ago, drivetime09 said:

That could be bad news for me, as I applied to Yale. I had a long informal phone call with the DGS prior to applying, though. Who knows..

Also, how was the interview? What did the Russian part cover?

Thanks @KingNikolai1

The DGS told me they had begun reviewing applications, but they had not made any decisions yet. 

The interview went well, the only generic question was 'Why Yale?' She mostly asked about my research interests. The Russian portion lasted about five to eight minutes, and she asked how long I had been studying Russian, what interested me in Russian linguistics and literature, about my summer study abroad, and a little family background since I am not a heritage speaker but my dad is. Honestly, my Russian was a bit rusty, but other than that I think the interview was fantastic. I asked about funding packages and coursework that Yale offers. In all, the interview lasted about 30 minutes, and I had not spoken with any of the professors at Yale prior to the interview.

I have no clue where I stand, and the interview was a huge surprise because it came very last minute. I received an email on Friday, and within an hour we scheduled the interview for the next day. Without giving too much away, all she said in the email was that she and her colleagues would find it helpful to know a little bit more about my candidacy.

I was wondering, does anyone have statistics on how many people apply and percentage admitted to Slavic programs? Other than Oxford and Harvard, I haven't been able to find ball park estimates. For Oxford the MSt and MPhil Slavonic Studies programs on average have 2 to 4 applicants per year, and their are normally two seats available. Slavonic applicants must compete with Yiddish and Celtic Studies for those seats so it is about 2/8 on average. Harvard, I heard they have 30 to 40 applicants on average, but I wasn't able to find how many are admitted.

Other than that brief inquiry, has anyone heard back?

I applied last year and I believe Harvard admitted 7 people. This apparently varies from year to year and is dependent on budget, funding, etc. I remember having similar questions about admissions rates and not finding much. Good luck! Hope they give you answers soon!

On February 8, 2016 at 0:56 PM, KingNikolai1 said:

I was wondering, does anyone have statistics on how many people apply and percentage admitted to Slavic programs? Other than Oxford and Harvard, I haven't been able to find ball park estimates. For Oxford the MSt and MPhil Slavonic Studies programs on average have 2 to 4 applicants per year, and their are normally two seats available. Slavonic applicants must compete with Yiddish and Celtic Studies for those seats so it is about 2/8 on average. Harvard, I heard they have 30 to 40 applicants on average, but I wasn't able to find how many are admitted.

Other than that brief inquiry, has anyone heard back?

No word here. The wait is slowly draining the life out of me

2 hours ago, drivetime09 said:

No word here. The wait is slowly draining the life out of me

It is such a killer! Supposedly, Yale will be notifying everyone this week and next week, so I am dying to hear back from them. Fortunately, I know I have at least one program with some funding under my belt, but Columbia and Yale are my top choices. I'm expecting to get rejected from UPenn, and if I don't get an interview next week then Harvard is out. UCLA isn't shabby, I just am impatient to hear from the others.

3 minutes ago, drivetime09 said:

Where do you see that? I did quite well, but not that well.

If someone included their GRE scores and/or GPA with their result, you can see it by hovering over the little red diamond next to the Decision and Date section.

To be perfectly honest, the GRE was the weakest aspect of my application. 

On 2/10/2016 at 3:40 AM, Sestrichka_lisichka said:

I applied last year and I believe Harvard admitted 7 people. This apparently varies from year to year and is dependent on budget, funding, etc. I remember having similar questions about admissions rates and not finding much. Good luck! Hope they give you answers soon!

Thank you for the update! I found some statistics on a website, but they seem old. 

On 2/11/2016 at 5:19 PM, drivetime09 said:

Where do you see that? I did quite well, but not that well.

Well, we should hear back from Yale this week. I am bracing myself. Hopefully, they don't keep us waiting until Friday or Saturday. If you don't mind me asking, how many places did you apply?

25 minutes ago, KingNikolai1 said:

Thank you for the update! I found some statistics on a website, but they seem old. 

Well, we should hear back from Yale this week. I am bracing myself. Hopefully, they don't keep us waiting until Friday or Saturday. If you don't mind me asking, how many places did you apply?

Yeah, I'm hoping they don't make us wait till the end of the week either.. It has already felt like an eternity. I'm hoping that Columbia follows suit, as well.

Just to four. I only chose those that I would attend without hesitation. I'm a musician and an entrepreneur, as well, working on both of those fronts in Russia at the moment, so if this year doesn't pan out the way I would hope, I'll re-apply next year, probably adding a school or two.

That being said.. I really hope that something works out!

On February 15, 2016 at 4:01 PM, KingNikolai1 said:

And it's beginning to look more and more likely that Friday or Saturday will be the days... 

54 minutes ago, drivetime09 said:

I'm hoping today is the day for quite a few of them.. 

I am with you. It has gotten to the point where I have given up caring so much, I just want Yale and Columbia to say something.

43 minutes ago, KingNikolai1 said:

I am with you. It has gotten to the point where I have given up caring so much, I just want Yale and Columbia to say something.

Just looking at the historical dates, I'm pretty surprised its taken all of them to this point.

I feel the same way, though. I'm hoping that these waits will pay off for both of us.

1 hour ago, drivetime09 said:

Just looking at the historical dates, I'm pretty surprised its taken all of them to this point.

I feel the same way, though. I'm hoping that these waits will pay off for both of us.

Definitely, the historical dates skewed when I thought I would hear back. I'm not a fan of cliches, but I sincerely hope that "no news is good news" applies to both of us given the wait.

5 hours ago, drivetime09 said:

Welp, I didn't hear anything today...

2 minutes ago, drivetime09 said:

If there's still no answer today, I'm contemplating how long it'd appropriate to wait before emailing..

Same here, we still have another hour before admin offices typically close, but this is ridiculous how long both places have been taking.