Getting in to Top China Programs? Ex: Harvard vs Berkeley

kmp34

What do you need to get into the top China program? I'm assuming all applicants to top 10 schools have almost perfect GPAs, strong research experience, perhaps a published paper, strong language skills, good GRE scores, etc.

Then what is the difference between an applicant who gets into say Harvard, vs Berkeley? Does it come down to the better SOP/research interests? Or what sets them apart?

• 2 months later...

I agree with cpaige's comments above and want to add a few other possible factors:

- Study/research/living experience in China (especially if it's 1+ years, for example a Fulbright Fellowship)

- Strong language ability that goes beyond advanced language coursework to demonstrate an ability to do research using the language

- A related MA degree in China Studies, East Asian Studies, IR, etc. including degrees from a Chinese university

- Publications or conference presentations on China-related topics or research collaborations with Chinese scholars

- Related internship experience doing China-focused research either in the U.S. or China

- Innovative research ideas (i.e. that go beyond China rise) that fit well with department and faculty interests and strengths

I'm also interested in doing China-focused research and picked my schools in large part based on their strength in this area. Hope this is useful, and good luck!