Gre for application

elif

Hello guys,

I am a seniour student in Turkey. I did voluntary training at lombardi cancer center. I did a lot of stuff there. I have very good CV and my gpa:3,75.

But ı have an problem with verbal part of gre. Is it important for significant university such as mit? I will apply cancer biology, so if ı show my ıelts result , they will give importance again my verbal score?

If ı do good score  for quantitive part rather than verbal part, is it enough?

thank you for help

Hi Elif,

Low score in XX, is always a relative term. What are your scores and are you applying to masters or phd? I didnt go to MIT info sessions yet but I just went to Harvard's phd info session. They (of course) said they dont have a strict cut off for GRE but people they have been accepting were in 85th percentile in BOTH verbal and quant sections. Well, that was certainly a bad news for me since my verbal score in only 58th percentile (quant is 97th). I think if you want to be competitive - I would suggest you to be min 75-80th percentile for MIT. I am retaking GRE as a matter of fact. (Please note that most of MIT applicants from outside of US will have excellent quant scores so your application probably won't stand out without a decent verbal section - ofc unless you have amazing published papers etc)

Best.

Arman

I don't know about bio, but MIT says for PhD in CS "EECS will accept either the TOEFL or the *IELTS scores for the English evaluation test. For the TOEFL, we require a score of at least 600 on the paper-based test, 250 for the computer-based test, and 100 for the Internet-based test. We require a minimum score of 7 on the IELTS. We do not use the GRE test scores during the admission process--regardless of citizenship--unless you are applying to the LGO Program, which does require the GRE."

Now I don't know if this applies to bio or if just EECS is revolting against the GRE (as all Unis should), but check the FAQ for your prospective programs for similar answers.

Edit:

Looks like MIT's department of Biology says this...

Should I apply?

All interested students are encouraged to apply. The average undergraduate GPA for students admitted for the 2014-2015 academic year was 3.81, and the average GRE's were:
Verbal (163; 89%),
Quantitative (165; 88%), and
Writing (4.8; 79%).

Applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents should see the next question.

I'm an international student. Should I apply?

We're very interested in qualified applicants from outside the U.S. Fluency in spoken and written English is essential. We judge fluency in several ways, including scores on the verbal GRE (average 650), TOEFL (required minimum 600) or IELTS (required minimum 6.5) exams. MIT can not waive the application fee for international applicants.

BTW it says average 650 (which is a 163) but it is no longer 89% but 92% 

Edited by <ian>

Hi Elif,

Low score in XX, is always a relative term. What are your scores and are you applying to masters or phd? I didnt go to MIT info sessions yet but I just went to Harvard's phd info session. They (of course) said they dont have a strict cut off for GRE but people they have been accepting were in 85th percentile in BOTH verbal and quant sections. Well, that was certainly a bad news for me since my verbal score in only 58th percentile (quant is 97th). I think if you want to be competitive - I would suggest you to be min 75-80th percentile for MIT. I am retaking GRE as a matter of fact. (Please note that most of MIT applicants from outside of US will have excellent quant scores so your application probably won't stand out without a decent verbal section - ofc unless you have amazing published papers etc)

Best.

Arman

Thank you for your informative answer. Yes you are right , Low score is a relative term. My verbal score in only 40th per cent, while my quant is the same with you.

Again Thank you,

Elif

I don't know about bio, but MIT says for PhD in CS "EECS will accept either the TOEFL or the *IELTS scores for the English evaluation test. For the TOEFL, we require a score of at least 600 on the paper-based test, 250 for the computer-based test, and 100 for the Internet-based test. We require a minimum score of 7 on the IELTS. We do not use the GRE test scores during the admission process--regardless of citizenship--unless you are applying to the LGO Program, which does require the GRE."

Now I don't know if this applies to bio or if just EECS is revolting against the GRE (as all Unis should), but check the FAQ for your prospective programs for similar answers.

Edit:

Looks like MIT's department of Biology says this...

BTW it says average 650 (which is a 163) but it is no longer 89% but 92% 

Thank you, ı hope ı will have chance , if ı don't get a good score from GRE.