University of Washington Postbac

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I just finished the postbac program at UW--I'd say it's pretty competitive.  I will also say that I applied assuming I wouldn't get in and I got waitlisted and then accepted. My undergrad was in psychology with a GPA of 3.28, so nothing spectacular.  I did have 2 years of direct experience working with special needs children and awesome letters of rec.  I think they care more about your experiences, SOP, and letters of rec for the postbac program than your GPA from your undergrad. 

For the masters program, I know they accept quite a few of the UW grads for it.  All the ones I know that got in have pretty high GPAs (I think the average GPA is 3.8) and relationships with professors. They're the 3rd best speech program in the nation (whatever that really means), so I think they try to keep their acceptances on the high end.  I heard from someone that they look at GRE scores last, too... so if you have awesome everything else and mediocre GRE scores, you may get in! I wouldn't use it as a back up, though. 

Hi I just saw your response! Thank you! I feel like what I have most going for me is my experience... I graduated 3 years ago, would be 4 by the time I started the postbac. And I have gotten in lots of good experience since then. My grades weren't terrible but I'll be taking some science courses to fix some less-than-stellar grades I got freshman year :)

Thanks again for your response, I appreciate it!!