UCLA grad program

ksmyk

I'm Canadian and have been looking into US psychology masters programs and came across this: https://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate

Apparently UCLA offers a phd wherein they admit students that just have a BA or BSc. I assume that this would be very competitive to apply for but am also wondering to what extent this is a legitimate route for acquiring a phd? Certainly UCLA is a fairly well-respected school. Additionally, I would be concerned to what extent this phd program would be recognized in other countries such as Canada... Feel free to weigh in..

I think a majority of people who start psychology Ph.D. programs just have a bachelor's degree of some sort (as opposed to having a MA/MS as well). It's perfectly legitimate. UCLA is a top institution with a great psychology department, a Ph.D. from UCLA will do you well anywhere.

Hey ksmyk,

Fellow Canadian here. Unlike most of the Canadian universities and their Psychology programs, those in the US tend to allow for direct entry into the PhD. Usually these programs may range from 4-5 years, but are a lot more competitive. Canada, on the other hand, have programs that first require a Masters (MA/MSc), and then allows you to pursue the PhD afterwards (one exception that I know of is at Dalhousie which allows you to transfer after your first year of Masters). 

It all just comes down to the academic culture between the two countries!

The reason places like UCLA admit students without a master's degree is that you basically get a master's "along the way." Even if you did have a master's degree before joining, you would start at the same place a student with just a bachelor's would, so it's often redundant. I've also heard some universities won't give you credit from previous graduate work, unless it was done at the same institution. Overall, it's very common is the states.

Well I'm starting my PhD this fall at UCLA, so it better be legitimate ;)

In all seriousness, though, UCLA is a fantastic place to get your degree. It is competitive though, like all psych PhD programs in the US. Unfortunately, these days PhD is almost the only option to get after a bachelors in psych (there are a few masters programs, but not many and they cost soooo much), so competitive will likely be what you have to deal with across the board.