Applying to Canada from US

Hello everyone!

I have been considering applying to graduate schools for Speech Pathology in Canada. i'm currently living in the US but, I have a duel US/Canadian citizenship. I was wondering if there are any cons if I were to get my MS/MA in Canada rather then in the US. I am nervous about trying to find work in the US with a Canadian degree. Also, if anyone has applied to Canada from the US, I would love some feedback! Thank you everyone!

Hello everyone!

I have been considering applying to graduate schools for Speech Pathology in Canada. i'm currently living in the US but, I have a duel US/Canadian citizenship. I was wondering if there are any cons if I were to get my MS/MA in Canada rather then in the US. I am nervous about trying to find work in the US with a Canadian degree. Also, if anyone has applied to Canada from the US, I would love some feedback! Thank you everyone!

I've been considering the opposite actually, applying to some US schools (as well as those here in Canada). I think the con to applying in Canada is it's very competitive, probably due to the small number of schools in Canada that offer SLP. You should consider applying to both schools in the US and Canada. Hope that helps! :)

Hi!  I'm not in your area of study at all, but I'm preparing to start school in Montréal as a student from the US, so I thought I'd insert my two cents. :)

In a list of pros:

- I have found that Canadian schools (at least in Québec) are astronomically cheaper than in the US.  Although, again, I have a different discipline, so that might not be the case for speech pathology.

- None of the schools I applied to required me to take the GREs.  Again, this could be a discipline- or province-specific thing, but not having to shell out money to take those tests was extremely helpful.

- The fact that you have dual citizenship will probably lower your tuition even more since you'd be able to get non-international tuition.

Cons:

- The process of trying to get a visa has not been fun, however, the process for you to study in Canada as someone with dual citizenship will probably be much easier.

Anyway.  I'm sorry I can't be more help as someone in a completely different discipline, but I highly recommend studying in Canada!  In terms of cost, at least, I've definitely found it to be worth it! :)

Thank you very much! Your advice definitely helps me out! I think I still will be applying to grad school in Canada. 

• 3 weeks later...

hi my 2 cents. Canadian schools (here in Ontario) dont take US students as they say theyre considered international. Not sure how that would work with your dual citizenship. But just something to be aware of, I personally think it would be harder to get in for you. American schools are many and a lot of people are actually applying to US from Canada. Canadian choices are very limited.