Number of LORs?

rainy_day

Hello all,

I was wondering how many LORs you are planning on providing. I know the minimum at most places is 2-3, but I have heard of people submitting 5 or more. My first thought is that this seems to be overkill. I was wondering what you think.

Submit no more than 3. The problem with submitting more than 3 is that they will usually only read 3. Therefore, you run the risk of them skipping the "best" one and reading a mediocre one from someone who doesn't really know you.

Submit 3. It doesn't look any better if you submit 5.

Submit no more than 3. The problem with submitting more than 3 is that they will usually only read 3. Therefore, you run the risk of them skipping the "best" one and reading a mediocre one from someone who doesn't really know you.

Submit 3. It doesn't look any better if you submit 5.

This is pretty much what I've heard as well.

One program I'm applying to has a requirement for 3, but on the online app, it says "you must submit 4." I'm pretty sure it's wrong and the requirement is still 3; I'm waiting to hear back from the admissions email I contacted, but seriously, I wish programs would make clear their requirements. Imagine submitting 4 and then, as you mentioned, the best one doesn't get read.

they used exclamation marks so I think they were serious

Ha. I wish all schools would use exclamation points for all the things they're really serious about. And maybe question marks for the things they don't really care about.