Applying to M. Arch w/unrelated BA need advice!

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to change career paths and I am considering going back to school to pursue an M-Arch degree. I have always been interested in architecture and even considered it during high school but I didn't follow through. I now have a BA in International Affairs and am working full time but I've finally decided that I need to go back to school to do what I really want to do---which I am almost positive is architecture. I enrolled at the local community college and am taking a Design 1 course to see if it's what I really want before I invest in a new path.

So I need some advice on applying to schools. My main worry is that my gpa for my BA was only 3.07...I have taken the GRE and scored 1240 (I scored higher on the Q but don't know the score off the top of my head). I have 3 yrs. experience working for a custom home builder and 4 yrs. working for an electrical contractor.

I know I need to build a solid portfolio and I have been working on my painting and also photographing the projects in my class. I really want to get into a program for Fall of 2010 but I'm concerned I won't have enough time to fully develop a portfolio by the most of the deadlines (December 15th)...

Beside the portfolio I am concerned that they won't even consider my application because of my GPA. I have considered taking the GRE again...I took it on a whim when I was helping my husband study so I could probably have worked harder for a better score.

I worked full time through my BA and never fully committed myself to school...if I can get into a program I know if would be a lot of hard work but I am ready for it. (I would not be working) I have always struggled between balancing the analytical side of myself with the creative side and I think architecture would allow me to pursue both strengths.

Here are some of the schools I am looking at...U of Virginia, U of Texas (Austin), U of Colorado (Denver), U of Florida, University of Oregon, University of Miami, Pratt Insitute, University of South Florida (back-up)

Any advice?

You would probably be placed in a 3.5-4 year masters program for Architecture at those schools since your Bachelors isn't a pre-professional architecture degree. Most of them have an application pool and if you meet the minimum (usually a 3.0 gpa, 1000 gre) they will place you in the pool and select from there. Selecting students for architecture is less about the numbers and more about if they think you will fit and succeed in the program. (statement of intent, recommendations, portfolio)

The amount and type of work needed for your portfolio varies by school but shouldn't be too involved since you would be basically starting over in architecture, but looking at the portfolio requirements on the admissions page for each school would help you. They should have a section on what they require for the non-architecture undergrad applications.

I know for the University of Florida they would put you in the 4 year Core program which 2 years of "undergrad" courses (basic design studios, history, structures, etc) and then the 2 years graduate program. Most schools have similar programs but the timeline differs, but they all focus on acquainting you with architecture before throwing you in the fire.

I would also recommend researching what the schools' design programs focus on (technical, research, design, technology) because that can make a huge difference depending on what you want to pursue as an architect.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Alright, well I was/am in the same exact situation as you are in - except my undergraduate degree is in vocal performance. Basically I had wanted to further my classical training in voice as well as study architecture, and focusing on voice first was the better option at the time. But I am now graduating and have already been accepted into 4 MArch programs, and so it's definitely possible. I have spent the past four years working toward a major in Graphic Design as well, and thus have taken plenty of art courses that have provided me with more than enough work for a portfolio. The only school that I applied to that you are looking at is Pratt, and I haven't heard back from them yet. But I've been accepted at North Carolina State University, SCAD, Arizona State University, and Syracuse University. Denied at Parsons and Illinois Institute of Technology, and waiting to hear back from Pratt and RISD. Hope this brings encouragement and confidence, and if you have any questions, let me know!