Advice on environmental science programs vs. applied math (also concern of lack of research)

emrktl

Hi everyone!

I am looking for advice for graduate school programs (masters or PhD). I have a very strong math background with additional coursework in physics, economics, geoscience, earth systems, some astronomy and a little comp sci (I’ll leave my stats below). I really enjoy climate modeling and research in climate dynamics. I feel like research focused more on numerical modeling is what I definitely enjoy more and what I may be more qualified for (although I could be wrong).

Major: Mathematics – Systems Analysis with a concentration in Geoscience

Minor: Earth Systems

GPA: 3.22

GRE: 160 Q, 153 V, 4 W (I am retaking these hoping to increase my scores)

Other: Female (not sure if that helps me at all?)

I am having a hard time trying to decide what type of program to apply to: if I should go more of the earth and environmental science route or focus more on applied math programs. Also, I’m having trouble figuring out if I should be applying to a masters program or a PhD program

My major concern is that I do not have experience in research and from what I read so far, in the applied science field, that is a big factor in the admissions process (I spent my college summers backpacking Europe, probably not the smartest move). I am looking to apply for fall 2016 programs, if anyone has any suggestions on programs that might work for me or any advice for getting around my lack of research I would really appreciate it!!

Edited by emrktl
Entered wrong gre score

I think you should be applying to programs where professors are doing the research you are interested in.  Earth Science programs tend to want you to have an advisor already picked out before entering, be it MS or PhD.