MFA programs with higher acceptance rates

cactusflower

Okay, I know--with the MFA, there is no such thing as a safety school. You can't apply to any school and expect it to be easy to get in, some people take a few years to be accepted, etc. I am applying for the Fall 2016 cycle and am now narrowing down the schools I want to apply to. I'd done research about the top schools and how difficult they are to get into, but there's something about seeing the numbers--1% acceptance, etc.--I'm basically having a panic attack a day. I'm trying to level out my school list with schools that have higher acceptance rates, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding such information. Poet and Writers no longer ranks the programs even individually (apparently they used to rank them for selectivity and funding) and most of the programs websites have little information. Does anyone here have experience searching out these "lower tier" (in a sense, because as I said, no such thing as safety schools) schools that I can add to my list to give myself a better chance? I'd really, really like to go to school next fall. I'm under no illusions that I'm special or somehow more likely to get into these programs than the other 99% of applicants. Does anyone know where I can find information about less selective schools?

Thanks! I mean, we're all in this together, right? 

Hello! I was trying to narrow down my selections as well. I chose to research schools that accepted a larger number of students in addition to the smaller programs I am applying for. I would prefer to be in a smaller program but I will also be applying to two schools that accept about 25-50 students. Perhaps applying to a school who has a larger program might help you feel more secure in your choices. I know that Sarah Lawrence accepts about 50 and they generally have less applicants than Columbia who also accepts 50, both programs might be great choices but history also plays into this. Often times newer programs don't have as much history as older programs, and this can lead to a smaller pool of applicants. It's good to look at all options. Good luck :) 

Oh also, P&W has a new handbook out. The MFA programs are no longer ranked in this handbook, but the information is still there. I found this extremely helpful, I didn't have to focus on an overall rating, just the aspects that mattered to me. 

• 1 month later...

Also look for schools that don't necessarily fund EVERY acceptee, but still offer a fair amount of funding. Pro: better chance of acceptance. Con: the possibility of being accepted w/o funding, in which case you'd have to decide if you still want to attend. I'd personally recommend not going anywhere unless you get funding.