phd admissions

Nivedita Srivastava

So , i dont have the best undergraduate score but I've scored well in my masters more like a first division ( according to Indian grading system) . Can i get admissions in the top tier schools in USA in the department of History ? with fully funded opportunities ?

Can you tell us more about your interests and the background you have to follow up on those? From the preliminary information you've given, the answer could range anywhere from "probably not" to "you've got a better chance than most."

You can get into a school if it supports your research interests, but it really depends on the entire package. We can't assess your chances because we're not an admissions committee. 

There's really nothing you can do about your poor undergraduate performance at this point. You've proven you can do graduate work, which is good. So, now you need to work on preparing your application so it is strong in every other area (LOR, GRE, etc.). Any weakness in your application will give them reasons to doubt your success in their program, while any strengths in your application will put more chances in your favor. I would apply broadly (top schools and schools that support your search that aren't "top" schools) and see what happens. 

Contact professors of interest, gauge if they're interested in your proposed research. Shore up all the parts of the application you control--writing sample, GRE, statement of purpose. Especially the statement...this should be pristine, deliberate, thoughtful and focused. Get the best LORs you can. Don't worry about your undergrad record. Lots of people have less than stellar undergrad scores and get into PhD programs, myself included. Your MA is more important (that is, if it's in history or a sister field). Good luck!