Concentrations in Columbia SIPA MPA

cloutma

I'm going to apply for 2016fall, MPA in SIPA, Columbia. And I have to choose the concentration in online application system.

I've got a bachelor degree in Environment, thus choosing the concentration in "Energy and Environment" will match perfectly.

However, I do wish to search more possibilities in economics and finance, so the concentration "International Economic and Finance Policy" is also attractive.

So I wonder whether students can switch concentrations once they enroll into SIPA? I may have to choose the energy concentration, just to be on the safe side, however I do look forward to expand my career in finance and economics, even environmental economic and finance.

So any student from SIPA can answer me?

Thx a lot!

Hi Cloutma,

My sense is you can absolutely change your concentration, though it probably needs to be relatively early on so you have time to take the required classes. At the SIPA info session, they did say that they generally don't encourage it after the first semester or so, but even then it's possible. 

There's a helpful quote about exactly this on the SIPA blog this morning, actually:

The dean said that 29 percent of the incoming students said they plan to study Economic and Political Development—almost as many as the next two concentrations combined, Urban and Social Policy (16 percent) and International Finance and Economic Policy (15 percent). But she noted that students often change courses and underscored that—on the first day of school—no decision is permanent.

As for choosing between the two on your application, I highly recommend putting together two hypothetical 2-yr schedules for yourself, one for each concentration. Keep in mind that you'll be able to change your mind when you arrive, and that you'll also get to round whatever you choose out with a specialization.

Hope that helps!

You can change your concentration any time and it does not matter what you put on your application. They usually use it just to group you with like minded people during orientation. You can switch and change it yourself, and yes as long as you satisfy the requirements you can do what you want.

also, it doesn't matter what your concentration is because it's not on your degree. It's all about how you market yourself to employers. 

Source: just graduated in May and was a peer advisor my second year. 

You can change your concentration any time and it does not matter what you put on your application. They usually use it just to group you with like minded people during orientation. You can switch and change it yourself, and yes as long as you satisfy the requirements you can do what you want.

also, it doesn't matter what your concentration is because it's not on your degree. It's all about how you market yourself to employers. 

Source: just graduated in May and was a peer advisor my second year. 

Thanks soooo much!

Hi Cloutma,

My sense is you can absolutely change your concentration, though it probably needs to be relatively early on so you have time to take the required classes. At the SIPA info session, they did say that they generally don't encourage it after the first semester or so, but even then it's possible. 

There's a helpful quote about exactly this on the SIPA blog this morning, actually:

As for choosing between the two on your application, I highly recommend putting together two hypothetical 2-yr schedules for yourself, one for each concentration. Keep in mind that you'll be able to change your mind when you arrive, and that you'll also get to round whatever you choose out with a specialization.

Hope that helps!

Thx soooooooooo much!