Most friendly & least friendly schools for stipends/scholarships/out of state tuition/minorites/internships/ect? (School Psychology EdS)

kingslayer

Hi everyone,

I'm basically going to be an out-of-state student for the first year of whatever grad school I (hopefully) get in to. It's going to be rough monetarily; moving everything cross country, finding another apartment, ect ect. I've decided that I do want to get my EdS before my PhD, and I know there will be less funding in general for someone like me.

Which states/schools that offer EdS programs are more likely to help students with tuition? I know the Northeast is supposed to be notorious for internships, but is it worth it in terms of everything else?

I believe that if you're at the EdS level, the most likely thing that will happen is that you won't get a traditional 'scholarship.' What you will be offered, or have to apply for is a 'graduate assistantship' which is basically a job on campus. They will pay you and you will work. It's a lot like work study, only the pay is much better. If you do the graduate assistantship, there will usually be some kind of tuition discount/waiver in it. I can't speak for other places, but I am currently in Texas and if you work as a graduate research assistant or a graduate instructional assistant, then they will give you in state tuition and the pay for most jobs is over $1000 per month. The cost of an apartment per month in my area if you live with roommates is somewhere between 500-600 dollars, so the money is enough to live off of in this area.

Hi everyone,

I'm basically going to be an out-of-state student for the first year of whatever grad school I (hopefully) get in to. It's going to be rough monetarily; moving everything cross country, finding another apartment, ect ect. I've decided that I do want to get my EdS before my PhD, and I know there will be less funding in general for someone like me.

Which states/schools that offer EdS programs are more likely to help students with tuition? I know the Northeast is supposed to be notorious for internships, but is it worth it in terms of everything else?