How much is the GRE weighed?

healthypsych

Hi everyone,

So as I mentioned in a few posts earlier, I just completed my MSc in Health Psych at a very highly internationally ranked school in the UK. I am now looking to apply for PhDs in the US (i am a dual citizen and i completed my undergrad in the U.S.) within the same area. I am trying to assess how competitive I am as an applicant and I am planning on taking my GREs again b/c i think that may be my downfall. I read somewhere that if you show strengths elsewhere they may overlook it. 

GRE (2013):

v-157

q-155

I know its low compared to others scores but I have one publication, about three manuscripts that are in prep, and I have been involved in about 7 research projects/labs (3 undergrad/ 4 grad). all of the research projects I have been involved in include different types of studies and I conducted different types of analyses. In addition I did 3 clinical internships in undergrad and one major work placement and one internship from my time during my masters. I chose to do this master's because I was a bio major my first two years and had GAD so my GPA overall for undergrad was low even though my psych GPA was 3.9. We havent received our final grades for the masters but I know I received either a merit (equiv of a 3.7) or a distinction (4.0) depending on my Master's thesis. I chose this particular program in the UK because it was leading in the field and health psych isnt as established in the US as it is in the UK and I wanted to work with the profs leading in their field. This also helps me gain some strong rec letters, including one from a professor who is a leader within the health psych field (he helped develop a big health behaviour model in the 1980s still used to this day). Not to mention any other extracurricular work I have done in my undergrad/ grad school. So all of what is mentioned above has lead me to believe that I may be hopefully a strong candidate and I shouldn't worry too much about my GRE scores? I also have spoken to potential PIs in PhD programs so they know who I am. How much do you think my GRE scores are going to weighted compared to the rest of my application? 

Edited by healthypsych
grammar

The answer depends on how competitive the programs are. If you will be applying to very competitive ones, your GRE may not pass the (unofficial) cut-off. Looking at the average scores posted on a program's website may help.

Regarding your question, GRE is important in the very first stage where adcom need to "screen out" applicants. Once you pass that stage, GRE will be much less important. So, again, it really depends on the programs you want to apply. Some programs, especially competitive ones, will throw your app right away just because of you GRE scores. Some programs will still look at other aspects of your app (publications, presentations, research experience, etc) and if they are strong enough to outweigh your relatively low GRE, you definitely have a decent chance for those programs. 

Actually you GRE is not that low. It is even considered high for some mid-ranged programs. I think you just need to apply wisely. That is, apply to both "dream" programs and "safe" ones.

Good luck!

Seconding what the poster khunconan said. I think it depends on where you apply and also what types of programs you are applying to (i.e. something like clinical psych will be more competitive than other programs). Your other qualifications are pretty good so I wouldn't stress too badly about your scores so long as you apply wisely like khunconan said.

Another thing I just thought of: you will probably want to make sure the PIs you're talking to are able to take on international students. See how that usually works for the school/program you're applying to because that might also play a factor.

Another thing I just thought of: you will probably want to make sure the PIs you're talking to are able to take on international students. See how that usually works for the school/program you're applying to because that might also play a factor.

Thanks! Well technically I am not an international student since I have a dual citizenship. I am originally from the United States, I just took a year out to study in another country where I also have citizenship. The master's does translate over so it shouldn't be an issue, just like funding.