Interdisciplinary Art History PhD Programs?

f.atom

I'm looking for Art History PhD programs that allow students to study critical theory (Frankfurt School) and philosophy as well. I'm interested in the history of aesthetics as well as the history of art, and in terms of art, the history of modern art (but this would include the history of the modern era, not just modernism). Stony Brook looks really good, and Northwestern has something called a "critical theory cluster" but there must be other programs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Look at programs that are considered to be "visual theory" or "visual studies" (Rochester, UC Irvine, UC San Diego).  I would also take a look at the list of current dissertations being written - http://www.caareviews.org/dissertations/355/in_progress.  CUNY seems to have a bundle along with Yale and UT-Austin.  Historically, some appear to have come out of Michigan, Duke, and Wisconsin as well.  Best of luck!

Many, many programs (I'd venture to say most) would be conducive places to study critical theory. Don't focus exclusively on programs with a formalized "critical theory" component. Instead, focus your attention on pinpointing faculty who are engaging with critical theory in a way you find to be compelling... and apply to work with them.

qwer7890 has given great advice. I doubt that in 2015, it is even possible to find a program without a faculty member who is engaged in critical theory. I would be wary of any program that allows you to focus exclusively on critical theory; it may not necessarily translate well on the job market.  

If you want to focus on aesthetics and critical theory more so than "Art History" proper you might be happier in a philosophy or even a Lit program. 

Agree with qwer7890 and Joan that most good programs will allow you to incorporate critical theory, and many encourage interdisciplinary study. You can always compare PhD guidelines from various departments or ask the grad student coordinator about policies regarding registering for classes outside the department if you're unsure. At my program it's encouraged to take classes outside the Art History department as long as they're in some way relevant to your specialization (i.e. aesthetics classes in the Philosophy dept, History or Lit dept classes in your region/period subfield, etc.)