Non-CS wants to try his luck in Computer Science

shr0d1nger

Dear All!

I have done my B.Tech in Metallurgy from IIT Kharagpur( 8.1 cg). I planned to go for MS in operations research but that didn't happen (GRE: 329 with 169 quant; TOEFL 108; Year 2012). After graduation(2013), I joined a financial tech company as a software developer where I supported their C++ product, then I switched to a quant dev role in a bank where I work in C++ to create in-house applications and do excel work.

I have one paper in a elsevier journal on machine learning (2011). My primary interest lies in the same domain. Should I apply in this field given fierce competition?Or should I opt for less favoured ones? Or maybe go for HCI?

Reco: One from the prof under whom I did the paper, one from my manager(maybe)

I have worked mainly in C++, have some experience with web technologies. I have no UG coursework in CS apart from introductory one in first year; I have completed Algo I, II in Coursera and Machine Learning in both coursera and edx - thats it. 

Now I have a wish of doing MS in CS from one of the top schools in US. I have to give toefl again. Any suggestions on the schools that might consider me given my background? 

Thank you very much :)

Edited by shr0d1nger

I am in a very similar position too, but shooting for PhD instead of MS. I did my B.Tech in Mech from another old IIT, and have my interests in AI/ML too. Last year I applied and got into scientific computing programs, but I realized my interests fall more in the AI side as opposed to CFD and computer simulations side. Why don't you consider MS or M.Tech (CS) in IIT Kgp? I am looking at IITK as my backup option in case I don't get into CS programs in the US (and try again for PhD 2 years later). They have 2-3 good faculty (one IITK B.Tech + PhD) and seem to have a good track record with placing students in top labs like MSR, Google, or Xerox. Of course I am interested in PhD, so it doesn't make any sense for me to spend money on MS.

Edited by compscian

I am not so sure if they will even look at my application for PhD and I am not so sure about going for PhD too. I plan to do MS so that they take me seriously for phd but mostly I will join ML division of a company upon graduation.

I don't want to do it from india because if I don't get into Google/MSR I'll be at the same situation as a software dev in some tech company where I will be if I just keep working for two years. 

So I am looking for any US MS programs that may consider me. Thanks.

Edited by shr0d1nger

MS programs are much less competitive.  Look for one that allows probationary admission.  This will allow you to take a few fundamental courses before admission.  Some may not count towards the MS some might.  Your first couple courses after that will likely be senior/lower level graduate courses.