Received My GRE Scores - Advice?

Hopeful One

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to this graduate forum, but I thought I would join early since I plan on going to graduate school. I am currently in my last term as an undergrad and I'm on the edge about my GRE score/applications. I just took the GRE today and scored 145 on the verbal and 146 on the quantitative. I know, these scores aren't good at all! I plan to retake it again. However, there are two schools that I am looking into that have a "competitive range" of scores and also have a "combined" score for the GRE. The competitive scores range from 145-155 in both sections, and 3.5-4.5 on the writing section. While the other school wants a total of 275 on the GRE. I obtained a 289 total. I was wondering if I should even apply to these schools right now? Should I retake the GRE and then apply to all of my desired schools (I have 4 major ones)? I am kind of bummed but the scores were expected. I only prepped for a month due to finishing up summer classes.

What did you do to properly prep for the GRE?

rising_star,

I just feel like a 145 and a 146 are on the lower end and aren't good enough for what's considered the competitive scores. But, I keep trying to remind myself that the GRE is just 1 part of the application. I have other parts to the application that I can still modify to make myself stand out. I guess I'm just worried that my application won't be as good as the others since Occupational Therapy is becoming more and more competitive these days. I'm trying to get involved in undergraduate research for my last term before heading off, so hopefully that will help with my application. 

Hopeful One, isn't occupational therapy more of a professional program? If that's true, then I'm not sure you need to get research experience before going since you won't be doing research once you're actually in the master's program. Doing more shadowing and getting whatever hands-on field specific training you can is probably more important.

And yes, the GRE is only one component of your application. If you're super concerned, can you talk to your professors about your scores and whether or not you should retake the exam?

Yes it is a professional program, but I think doing undergraduate research during my last term would potentially help me stand out from the other undergraduates applying. I also am going to get 60 hours of observation this term and another 20 hours during my winter break. I think different settings will definitely help me with the hands-on aspect of the application and/or personal letter.

I don't know if my professors know as much about OT, but I can try and talk to them. Maybe I will run my stats by one of my professors and see what they think. Thanks for the input rising_star! I appreciate it.

Yes it is a professional program, but I think doing undergraduate research during my last term would potentially help me stand out from the other undergraduates applying.

Serious questions. How many other applicants do you think have the exact same idea? And, what are you expecting to accomplish in one semester that will make you stand out?

Hello Hopeful One!

I can understand how you are feeling right now. But I'm here to assure you that the GRE is truly not the only piece of the puzzle. I decided not to study at all. I took the GRE twice and the best I did was a 148 verbal, 136 quantitative, and a 4.0 written. Only 2% of people taking the GRE did worse than me on the quantitative section...and that was the first time I took it! I did even worse the 2nd time around. 

With those scores I was successfully admitted to 3 out of 5 Masters of Public Health programs, and 2 other unrelated graduate programs. The rest of your application matters just as much as test scores. Like Rising Star said, start focusing on those other aspects. Get stellar letters of rec., amp up your resume, and kill it on the personal statement. 

It sounds like you've really already made up your mind and feel like you need to retake it. More power to you. But just try to remember it isn't the only part of your application.

Stay hopeful!

Serious questions. How many other applicants do you think have the exact same idea? And, what are you expecting to accomplish in one semester that will make you stand out?

I'm not sure how many other applicants have the same idea. Many people who are in their late 20's and early 30's apply as well, who have been working a different job other than occupational therapy. I'm sure this applies to multiple graduate programs though. I'd say a decent majority are getting involved in undergraduate research who are currently in their undergrad, but not everyone.

I am actually going to take the undergraduate research for credit so I can officially be on my transcript when I send it off to schools. I hope to obtain some experience in research related to a population in my field. I think at least getting some research experience will help me stand out from other applicants that have not participated in research at all.

Hello Hopeful One!

I can understand how you are feeling right now. But I'm here to assure you that the GRE is truly not the only piece of the puzzle. I decided not to study at all. I took the GRE twice and the best I did was a 148 verbal, 136 quantitative, and a 4.0 written. Only 2% of people taking the GRE did worse than me on the quantitative section...and that was the first time I took it! I did even worse the 2nd time around. 

With those scores I was successfully admitted to 3 out of 5 Masters of Public Health programs, and 2 other unrelated graduate programs. The rest of your application matters just as much as test scores. Like Rising Star said, start focusing on those other aspects. Get stellar letters of rec., amp up your resume, and kill it on the personal statement. 

It sounds like you've really already made up your mind and feel like you need to retake it. More power to you. But just try to remember it isn't the only part of your application.

Stay hopeful!

Hello ChasingMavericks!

Reading your situation makes me feel more at ease. I still have some hope! I will definitely focus on other aspects of the application because I think I can definitely strengthen those areas. In the past week, I have actually come up with a plan on what to do if I get accepted or rejected for this round of the program. I only plan on applying to 3 schools this time around, and I'll see what happens! Thank you for sharing your scores and your situation. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure how many other applicants have the same idea. Many people who are in their late 20's and early 30's apply as well, who have been working a different job other than occupational therapy. I'm sure this applies to multiple graduate programs though. I'd say a decent majority are getting involved in undergraduate research who are currently in their undergrad, but not everyone.

I am actually going to take the undergraduate research for credit so I can officially be on my transcript when I send it off to schools. I hope to obtain some experience in research related to a population in my field. I think at least getting some research experience will help me stand out from other applicants that have not participated in research at all.

I think you missed my point. One semester of undergraduate research, even if it's for credit, isn't very much research experience. It's unlikely you'll do anything significant or anything that will make you stand out from other applicants. It's also the case that many students are involved in undergrad research beginning early in their academic career, some for credit and some because they have a work-study position for a professor or in a lab. In fact, some faculty prefer to hire/work with 1st/2nd year students because they'll spend more time in the lab and often have more flexible schedules. 

If it were me, and I were applying to a professional program like you are, I would try to get logged time shadowing someone working in the field, rather than doing research that may or may not be related to your target population or your interests. But, to each his/her own I suppose.