Opinions about Colorado and Minnesota classics

Joe001

I plan on applying to quite a few places, but I would like to know more about these two in particular. Does anyone here have opinions about the quality of these two programs? Just for reference, I am interested in Greek and Roman religion, and also tragic and epic poetry, if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on applying to quite a few places, but I would like to know more about these two in particular. Does anyone here have opinions about the quality of these two programs? Just for reference, I am interested in Greek and Roman religion, and also tragic and epic poetry, if that helps.

Do you have a copy of the APA's Guide to Graduate schools? They publish it every year. It lists current faculty and the department's strengths. One of your professors will probably have a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about these programs that you can't learn on their website, but I will be applying to Colorado. There are two distinguished Roman Poetry faculty members there (Knox and Newlands, who just came over this year from Wisconsin), and that's what I'm most interested in. If you are interested in Greek and Roman religion, you definitely need to look into Ohio State's program.

A useful tool for looking at schools in general is http://www.classicaljournal.org/search.php. Since we lack, in Classics, a good "ranking" system, this tool is pretty helpful. Keep in mind that it's maintenance is entirely voluntary, so naturally some of the entries will be incorrect or outdated, but it's a good way to get a general overview of what's going on at each school. Type in the school name in the PhD institution (you have to play around with this, some schools are by acronym, others by full name) field and sort descending chronologically. You can see what recent dissertations have been on, how many graduates are coming out of these schools, and where (or if) they are getting jobs.