MA? MPP? MBA?

erei82

I'm applying this fall for grad school and, ideally, would like to do political risk consulting for investments in emerging markets. I majored in political science undergrad and have been doing i-banking on cross-border transactions (primarily) in emerging markets for the last 4 years. I'm looking at KSG, Fletcher, SIPA, SAIS, and possibly UChicago. Any suggestions? Georgetown? Any views on MA vs MPP? I've also been looking at joint MBA degree programs.

• 1 month later...

I'm applying this fall for grad school and, ideally, would like to do political risk consulting for investments in emerging markets. I majored in political science undergrad and have been doing i-banking on cross-border transactions (primarily) in emerging markets for the last 4 years. I'm looking at KSG, Fletcher, SIPA, SAIS, and possibly UChicago. Any suggestions? Georgetown? Any views on MA vs MPP? I've also been looking at joint MBA degree programs.

Having come from the policy world into the academic world, I can tell you that it doesn't matter a ton, especially for things like risk management, what kind of degree you have. Good schools are better. Related programs (so when it say, "IR, Sociology, Area studies or closely related fields" on a job listing) are better. But in general, nothing is hard and fast and what people want is a smart person, and the degree is a proof of that smartness not really preparation for the job.

All of the programs you listed are good. You may wish to think about doing the shorter degree, though, so you can start earning money quicker. Very little you are going to learn at school is going to be as helpful as what you will learn on the job. If you are worried about being under credentialed, or you are not otherwise competitive in the job market (e.g. you don't have any special skills, or you don't have any real work experience) there is a dual MA program at Chicago where you can get an A.M. in International Relations and a second one in Public Policy at the University of Chicago, but if you have four years industry work that doesn't seem to apply. It only takes two years. Otherwise the IR degree only takes one year, nine months really.

I wouldn't think that an MA in political science would be particularly useful given your interest in risk management. You want to develop a strong quantitative skill set, and MPP or MBA programs are better in this regard. I would think that a three year MBA/MPP degree would be the best fit, given your interests and desire to work in risk management. I would suggest the MBA program at Chicago because it is very analytical and has less of the fluffy "go get em tiger" stuff that you find in non-analytical MBA programs. Also, they have Marv Zonis (http://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/bio.aspx?person_id=12826030080), who ran a risk management firm. He is emeritus, but he actively teaches and will oversee graduate theses (like mine).