GRE - worth retaking?

ultraviolet

Hi all, I'm new to the site and have been panicking ever since my scores came up on the screen yesterday. I scored 670V (95%) / 720Q (77%).

I'm applying to PhD programs in Art History, including two ivy league schools. I'm panicked because I routinely scored 700 to 750V on practice tests, and was so dismayed that I didn't score in my normal range on the test. I'm worried that scoring below a 700V could hurt my chances at the ivies. I am confident if I retake the test I can score in that range. Is it worth it to retake? My scores are probably fine for the other programs I am applying to, but I feel having a higher score can't hurt there either, and may be important in funding decisions.

If I retake and score above 700, this will be only a 2 to 3 percentage point jump. Is it worth the stress, time, and money to take it again??? Help!

Thanks for your thoughts! There's something about the GRE that just strikes fear in my heart! It feels so high stakes, even though I know (or hope at least) that the rest of my application is what matters the most. It's just frustrating to know I could have done better, but I'm sure everyone feels that way. I appreciate the input.

Thanks for your thoughts! There's something about the GRE that just strikes fear in my heart! It feels so high stakes, even though I know (or hope at least) that the rest of my application is what matters the most. It's just frustrating to know I could have done better, but I'm sure everyone feels that way. I appreciate the input.

I scored very similarly to you last year, and also seriously considered retaking the test--especially when I saw my AWA score. Fortunately, friends convinced me to spend my time on things that would make much more of a difference, like my SOP and writing sample. That turned out to be a great decision. I also applied to two ivies, and to six other high-ranked programs in my field, and I can tell you for sure that no one even mentioned my GRE scores so they were enough to get me past the cutoffs and they really weren't what the adcoms considered when it came down to deciding whether to accept me. So, spend your time working on the more important parts of the application and be confident that it's not the GRE that'll be the deciding factor in the decision process.

I scored very similarly to you last year, and also seriously considered retaking the test--especially when I saw my AWA score. Fortunately, friends convinced me to spend my time on things that would make much more of a difference, like my SOP and writing sample. That turned out to be a great decision. I also applied to two ivies, and to six other high-ranked programs in my field, and I can tell you for sure that no one even mentioned my GRE scores so they were enough to get me past the cutoffs and they really weren't what the adcoms considered when it came down to deciding whether to accept me. So, spend your time working on the more important parts of the application and be confident that it's not the GRE that'll be the deciding factor in the decision process.

Very reassuring, thanks fuzzylogician for sharing. I've calmed down a bit now and will probably follow everyone's advice and save myself the time and stress of retaking so I can focus on the rest of my app instead. Reading other people's thoughts has helped give me some perspective on this. I appreciate it!