Confused about knowledge of other languages!

As far as I understood most of the top-ranking universities in English Program require that the applicants have a basic knowledge of at least two languages or mastery and fluency of one. My questions are: Do all the applicants genuinely meet this requirement? And how important is it for getting admission?

Thanks in advance for your help!

"Mastery" is a bit strong. You need to pass a translation exam for them to consider you proficient in one language. To be advanced, you usually have to pass an under level undergrad course at their uni or a grad course. Most schools want you to be proficient in at least one at the time of application and the other you pick up along the way.

Thank you Horb! Yes, I know the process. Right now I'm taking French class to meet this requirement; but getting ready for this class takes so much time and consequently I can't focus on many other important things like GRE, WS... Is my devoting so much time worthy? Will having a certificate in another language make my app really strong or no it's not considered that much important?

Edited by star-star

Cuz you are in English, it really isn't that important. What is important is being able to show the admissions committee that they don't have to worry about you not passing the exam at all, which means college level work in the language should suffice. 

(This is less true of medievalists)

Edited by echo449
medievalists have it ruff

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Horb! Yes, I know the process. Right now I'm taking French class to meet this requirement; but getting ready for this class takes so much time and consequently I can't focus on many other important things like GRE, WS... Is my devoting so much time worthy? Will having a certificate in another language make my app really strong or no it's not considered that much important?

It really depends on programs. Some more traditional programs care more, but at the end of the day the WS is the most important part of your application, followed most likely by your letters of rec, grades, and GRE. The writing sample is where you can show what you do. Just having some background in languages is important.