Recommenders from different fields

fc

Hi,

I am applying computer science master programs in the following months. I graduated from math major and then worked for a professor on linguistics/neuroscience for a year. I have taken few CS courses in college but I only get to familiar with one professor.

Regarding LORs, I assume it would be better coming all from professors in CS fields. But I barely know my CS course professors, should I ask them for it? Or should I ask linguistics professor and one of my math professor (pure math), they both know me better. My concern is that linguistics and pure math are somewhat unrelated to computer science.

Appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I would say if you have multiple recommenders on an application, having one outside your field who knows you well isn't a bad idea. I know I am including professors from my main department (IR) who knew me o.k., but I also have a professor from the German department who worked with me on a more personal level while I was finishing my second major. 

would love to hear other thoughts on this, though!

I was a Math major too. My plan is to ask my advisor who knew me well (math professor), as well as two professors with whom I've taken graduate level CS courses since graduating, though they don't know me as well. It's just not easy to get to know a professor so well in such a short period of time. Different story when you're hanging out in the math department every day for 3-4 years for classes, office hours, TA meetings, grading exams, social events, things like that.

Math is close to CS though. Linguistics seems like a shaky choice. I don't know your situation though.