GRE or no GRE?

fred987

I'm applying to the MA in Human Rights program at Columbia's GSAS and the GRE is optional. I am taking it next month but have had such a busy past couple of months that I've had little time to study. I'm afraid my scores wont be up to par. The website says that submitting a GRE won't automatically help your chances and that not submitting them won't automatically hurt your chances. I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the program or anyone who is in a similar situation could give me some feedback. I have a 3.6 GPA and a certificate in global affairs with a concentration on human rights. I have strong extracurricular leadership experience, many in human rights organizations. I work as research asst in the poli sci dept working on an NSF funded study on human rights. As of now I have 18 credits of human rights courses. Both of my LOR will be coming from profs or TAs from HR classes. Does this sound like a strong enough application that can do without a GRE submission?

Edited by cabenson

You could wait to see how you do on your GREs before deciding to submit them. If you're not happy with your scores, nothing is lost. If they're good, then that could strengthen your app. I don't know anything about your specific area of study, but the fact that they say that the GRE is optional and won't automatically hurt your chances makes me think it's not too big of a deal if you don't submit them. It's not like they say it's "strongly recommended." (I'm actually disregarding a couple "strongly recommended/preferred" on some of my apps in regards to taking the GMAT over the GRE. Yeah, that could be stupid; we'll see how that goes.) If you have other strong qualifications, then that is what is going to matter, in my mind, but again, I have no knowledge of your field or the program, those are just my thoughts.

You could wait to see how you do on your GREs before deciding to submit them. If you're not happy with your scores, nothing is lost. If they're good, then that could strengthen your app.

This. Take the GRE but don't automatically send your scores. If they're high, send them. Otherwise, don't.