Diversity Statement and Disability

I'm applying to clinical psychology PhD programs. When writing about how I will contribute to diversity, I'm tempted to discuss (along with my educational emphasis on neuropsychology and my participation in my current program's diversity counsel) how I overcame academic obstacles with my disability. Also, it first began during undergrad and would also "explain away" my dip in grades at that time. 

While it's great to be able to emphasize how I am a part of a minority population and can help to fill that quota, I've also been told to never disclose disability status because it tends to be discriminated against. Especially because the nature of my disability is progressive, even though I will soon have a MA, it is very possible that others might assume that I can be a liability and unlikely to be able to keep up with the rigor of graduate work for a PhD. 

Anyone have experience with this? Any insight? 

I don't have any insight but am very interested in hearing what others have to say about this topic. I find myself in a similar situation to you. During my freshman year of college I sustained a TBI which led to awful grades for two years (neurology team flat out told me not to continue on with my schooling, I'm stubborn so I tried anyway...and have 31/2 semesters of failing grades or withdrawals now). Throughout the rest of my undergrad education I came to love the field of social work due to my experiences and want to be able to speak honestly about that when answering the question of what started my interest in pursuing a MSW. To disclose or not to disclose...decisions, decisions...