How to study for quantitative reasoning?

Elvidi

Hello all! Does anyone have advice for studying the quantitative reasoning material?? I just took the GRE for the first time after doing a decent bit of prep and while I'm satisfied with my verbal and writing (162/5.5), my quantitative score was abysmal (149). Clearly I need to try a new approach to studying for that section - does anyone have tips? Thanks!

EDIT: If it's not obvious already, math is far from my strong point - I'm applying to graduate programs in International Affairs, with a focus in public diplomacy and communications. 

Edited by Elvidi

Hi Elvidi,

With your Verbal and Essay Scores, you clearly have the critical reasoning skills to score at a high level, so I have to assume that you can raise your Quant Score (you just need to learn to 'see' the GRE Quant in a different way).

1) What materials did you use during your original studies?

2) Have you thought about when you might next take the GRE?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

@Elvidi Hey. IMHO , you should try using the Manhattan books. If your concepts are not clear, then buy the 6 books (out of total 8). If your concepts are clear and you just need practice, then take the Manhattan 5lb book. I am sure it will benefit you a lot. Best of luck brother :)

I am on the same boat like you.I have been following the youtube prep videos on the subject matter. One youtuber that I found somewhat walk you slowly but thoroughly is keshwani. He does a whole section of Quantitative prep where he discusses all the questions in the ETS prep book on day by day basis. Give it a try, it's free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUduMqjqchs

I found this list of topics covered (as provided by ETS) with links to videos from Khan Academy that focused on each of the concepts to be pretty helpful. https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/khan_academy

You probably don't need to watch through the whole list, given that it starts with extremely basic arithmetic, but to make the most of it, especially in limited time, I took a practice test first to give me a sense of my weakest areas, then specifically targeted those by watching the relevant videos. Also, since you've already taken the test once, you can access the score diagnostic thing on the mygre website, which--although it won't give you any very specific details at all about the question--can at least highlight big problem areas. For example, if you generally got all the algebra questions right, and geometry wrong, then at least you have an idea of a good area to start focusing on.

Good luck!

I am on the same boat like you.I have been following the youtube prep videos on the subject matter. One youtuber that I found somewhat walk you slowly but thoroughly is keshwani. He does a whole section of Quantitative prep where he discusses all the questions in the ETS prep book on day by day basis. Give it a try, it's free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUduMqjqchs

I found this list of topics covered (as provided by ETS) with links to videos from Khan Academy that focused on each of the concepts to be pretty helpful. https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/khan_academy

You probably don't need to watch through the whole list, given that it starts with extremely basic arithmetic, but to make the most of it, especially in limited time, I took a practice test first to give me a sense of my weakest areas, then specifically targeted those by watching the relevant videos. Also, since you've already taken the test once, you can access the score diagnostic thing on the mygre website, which--although it won't give you any very specific details at all about the question--can at least highlight big problem areas. For example, if you generally got all the algebra questions right, and geometry wrong, then at least you have an idea of a good area to start focusing on.

Good luck!

These are great, thank you! I'm a super visual learner so this is really beneficial for me.

Hi Elvidi,

The other posters in this thread have hit on an important aspect of learning - it's often easier to learn a concept if you can watch (and hear) someone talk you through it. As such, taking a 'book-heavy' approach to studying the Quant section might be hurting your chances of improvement. By extension, you will likely benefit by using a computer-based resource (with video explanations).

We have a number of free practice resources at our website (www.empowergre.com) that you will probably find quite helpful.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Dear Elvidi, 

I started my prep feeling really nervous about quant as well. I second Bumchiki and Erin. I found the Manhattan books (set of 8) incredibly useful for understanding the core quant concepts tested in GRE. I also find Keshwani's videos incredibly useful. His video openings are annoying but if you can skip them I think his work is very useful. I am still prepping so I don't know yet how much I will score but I found these two resources great to understand basic concepts (finish Manhattan first and then do Keshwani, start practising GRE problems from day 1 and continue till the end). Magoosh is another  much-hyped resource, if it won't pinch your pockets, go for it. I have found it a good addition to my prep efforts - but it's not the ultimate score enhancer or can't be the sole resource. It's useful nevertheless. 

Hope this helps. Honestly, I am incredibly nervous about quant as well but I am really trying and have found that these resources have helped me come a long-ish way with more to go!