MIA EARLY BIRD APPLICATIONS IHEID

su_nayana

9 minutes ago, Erminia_LL said:

Did anyone else have a heart attack after receiving an e-mail from IHEID this morning - which was NOT about an update of our application status but about the 2016 Geneva Challenge? 

lol yes I did!

@Erminia_LL OMG yes! I was just checking my inbox now and nearly started freaking out haha! Seems interesting though, I might look into it once I get my heartrate back to a normal pace... :P

@haru_ko Maybe visa requirements differ by country... I have to apply through the Beijing embassy and their requirements list TOEFL scores. But wow, you're already in Switzerland? If we all make it to IHEID, you'll need to organize the welcome party as you've been there the longest ;) 

1 hour ago, taeyeon said:

@Erminia_LL OMG yes! I was just checking my inbox now and nearly started freaking out haha! Seems interesting though, I might look into it once I get my heartrate back to a normal pace... :P

@haru_ko Maybe visa requirements differ by country... I have to apply through the Beijing embassy and their requirements list TOEFL scores. But wow, you're already in Switzerland? If we all make it to IHEID, you'll need to organize the welcome party as you've been there the longest ;) 

@taeyeon Actually, I got around the normal visa application process. Referring to the list of documents on the Swiss Consulate website, it also says applicants need to submit English test scores. However, my university applied for the visa for me here in Switzerland. Afterwards, they just send me a letter and I could go pick up my visa at the consulate, with no additional documents required. So actually, I didn't go through that long and annoying process of student visa application, where I have to submit like one whole pile of documents. But I'm not sure if IHEID would do the same thing for international students.

Haha I guess I could! I'm in Geneva now (I don't study here though). I was actually thinking perhaps I could post some pictures of IHEID for those of you who didn't get a chance to visit the campus 

On 18 dicembre 2015 at 4:49 PM, haru_ko said:

Haha I guess I could! I'm in Geneva now (I don't study here though). I was actually thinking perhaps I could post some pictures of IHEID for those of you who didn't get a chance to visit the campus 

That would be awesome - although I am trying to keep my enthusiasm about IHEID as low as possible in case of failure ^_^

Also submitted my application to Sussex IDS. It was completed only a day ago and they said they are already reviewing my application! Gotta say it's a nice change from all the "document processing" hiatus from LSE, IHEID..... <_<

Ahhh why does application season fall on winter holidays.....such a struggle.

Have any of you thought about applying to Central European University? I just heard about the school. It seems to have funding opportunities comparable to IHEID and it performs well in international metrics like QS, but I know too little about it to determine whether its links to international organizations and its location factor (Budapest) are even comparable to LSE, let alone IHEID.

Do you guys know of any other European (continental or UK) universities that provide lots of funding to their students and have good links with international organizations?

Edited by AAAAAAAA

Hey everyone! It's been so quiet here the last few days... I hope everyone's been enjoying their holidays, and Merry Christmas! ^_^

@AAAAAAAA My friend did an exchange at CEU and attended some master's classes while there. She said it was pretty good, but personally the location doesn't appeal to me. I don't think it's at IHEID/ScPo level, but I've gotten the impression that it's a pretty good option in Europe overall.

@haru_ko The pictures would be great if you can share them! I dunno if you get to see the whole campus, but I'd imagine it isn't too big. The photos I've seen of the library are definitely nice.

11 hours ago, taeyeon said:

Hey everyone! It's been so quiet here the last few days... I hope everyone's been enjoying their holidays, and Merry Christmas! ^_^

@AAAAAAAA My friend did an exchange at CEU and attended some master's classes while there. She said it was pretty good, but personally the location doesn't appeal to me. I don't think it's at IHEID/ScPo level, but I've gotten the impression that it's a pretty good option in Europe overall.

@haru_ko The pictures would be great if you can share them! I dunno if you get to see the whole campus, but I'd imagine it isn't too big. The photos I've seen of the library are definitely nice.

Currently, I'm away from Geneva for holidays so the photos have to wait! But yea, it's not big at all. There're 6 buildings (they call them "petals" because of their shape) on campus, but IHEID only uses two of them and rented out the other 4 for other organisations. So the areas where students could enjoy are really just the cafeteria, library, theatre and classrooms. There's really nothing much. 

http://www.opportunitiesforafricans.com/2016-commonwealth-scholarships-for-masters-and-phd-study-in-the-uk-fully-funded/

@AAAAAAAA.....I saw this link shared by my lecturer. It mentioned if the person from commonwealth counties (like candidate from southeast Asia, southern Asia, or African countries) is eligible to apply full scholarship to study in UK

I am still working on my application so not really an early bird.. but I have a question for you guys!! I only just thought of this: Is the deadline for the referees also january 15th?? Because up until now I assumed that I could just fill in the names of my referees and they would get a notification after the 15th.. I am confused now, please help!

17 minutes ago, reddog said:

I am still working on my application so not really an early bird.. but I have a question for you guys!! I only just thought of this: Is the deadline for the referees also january 15th?? Because up until now I assumed that I could just fill in the names of my referees and they would get a notification after the 15th.. I am confused now, please help!

Actually, once you fill in your referees' names, they will automatically get an e-mail from the Institute with the instructions to follow in order to upload their letters. The deadline for you referees is January 22nd if you apply by the regular deadline - January 15th. Hope it helps! 

6 minutes ago, Erminia_LL said:

Actually, once you fill in your referees' names, they will automatically get an e-mail from the Institute with the instructions to follow in order to upload their letters. The deadline for you referees is January 22nd if you apply by the regular deadline - January 15th. Hope it helps! 

Thank you so much for that answer! I had already started to panic slightly haha, I thought I was doing ok with my time management so far! I planned on asking my references today (they are my thesis supervisors and I am in regular contact with them).

Could I possibly ask you another question? I am wondering about the required documents for my financial aid application: On the webpage for financial aid, I am given to understand that I should upload a tax certificate AND proof of all other sources of funding. However in the application checklist PDF, it says I should only give proof of all other sources of funding in case I cannot provide a tax certificate? What should I upload? I do not want to make any mistake, and end up with an incomplete application by accident.. any advice?

Edited by reddog
I am a grammar perfectionist

4 minutes ago, reddog said:

Could I possibly ask you another question? I am wondering about the required documents for my financial aid application: On the webpage for financial aid it says I am given to understand that I should upload a tax certificate AND proof of all other sources of funding. However in the application checklist pdf, it says I should only give proof of all other sources of funding in case I cannot provide a tax certificate? What should I upload? I do not want to make any mistake, and end up with an incomplete application by accident.. any advice?

As far as scholarship goes, there are only two mandatory documents to upload: the motivation letter and your tax certificate. There are other document, though: parents' tax certificate, spouse's tax certificate, salary, savings, annuities, investments, scholarship you received in the past - this is the complete list you will see in the uploading documents section of you application once you will pay the application fee. Although they are not mandatory (meaning marked with *), you may want to upload them anyway so as to provide them with the most comprehensive picture of your financial situation as well as that of your family. 

11 minutes ago, Erminia_LL said:

As far as scholarship goes, there are only two mandatory documents to upload: the motivation letter and your tax certificate. There are other document, though: parents' tax certificate, spouse's tax certificate, salary, savings, annuities, investments, scholarship you received in the past - this is the complete list you will see in the uploading documents section of you application once you will pay the application fee. Although they are not mandatory (meaning marked with *), you may want to upload them anyway so as to provide them with the most comprehensive picture of your financial situation as well as that of your family. 

Thanks again! I hope to finish my application soon and join you in the waiting game :)

13 minutes ago, El pichichi said:

IHEID will release the decisions for the first round applicants between January 11th and January 22nd. Please, don't panic!! Everyone here should be okay.

Where does this news come from? 

1 hour ago, Erminia_LL said:

Where does this news

1 hour ago, El pichichi said:

IHEID will release the decisions for the first round applicants between January 11th and January 22nd. Please, don't panic!! Everyone here should be okay.

come from? 

@Erminia_LL, El pichichi was the original source for the claim that decisions would be released on Dec. 16th. I'd doubt this information, but in any case, IHEID's website indicates that the official deadlines for early action notifications is mid-January. So we can wait until the 15th or maybe the 22nd before we email IHEID should anything go wrong.

16 minutes ago, AAAAAAAA said:

@Erminia_LL, El pichichi was the original source for the claim that decisions would be released on Dec. 16th. I'd doubt this information, but in any case, IHEID's website indicates that the official deadlines for early action notifications is mid-January. So we can wait until the 15th or maybe the 22nd before we email IHEID should anything go wrong.

Thanks, @AAAAAAAA. That's why I asked @El pichichi. If he got the news from the same whistleblower who told him about the mid-December notifications, I'd doubt it too. The point is that I, as everyone here, am starting to feel the notifications are approaching. And the idea that they may come out in twelve days, well it shook me up a little ;)

January 11th would be an ideal date if they get everything done the week before, but based on the experiences of my current job, it seems more likely that they will work on finalizing notifications throughout the week and send it out on a Friday. Either way, I'm sure that 2nd/3rd week of January should be one full of excitement! :lol: 

3 hours ago, Erminia_LL said:

The regular notifications were released on March, 20th last year, which was a Thursday. But you're right, I think the 11th is a little too optimistic :)

I am curious: what's your current job? 

Yeah, perhaps Friday would be pushing it... I work for a non-profit organization! Lately we've been announcing a lot of bids and awards, after applications are assessed we contact the winners at the end of the week. It's just rare to have things all set by the week's end and start announcing things on a Monday :P

Hi guys! Happy New Year to all! I hope 2016 is a year of changes and interesting studies for us! I applied for the early admission IR/Political Science masters. First I was freaking out! Now I'm giving this energy and motivation a better use.

I read through the first 4 pages of this thread and skipped the other three. I only applied to IHEID, studying there would be... I really cannot put it in words... it would be a dream, a life accomplishment, an important tool for my career...  And a really long etc :) 

However, I realised I want to go there to have the greatest academic preparation, so instead of worrying too much or researching other people's profiles I have started to read and study IR. I am hoping for the best, I wish they accept me so we need to be ready to give our best! If they say no, although it would be discouraging -and I will have to mourn a little before applying somewhere else- at least we will have got some academic knowledge out from the experience besides acidic reflux from worrying too much! ;)

The Best to all of you!

Hey Guys,

First of all, Happy New Years! I hope we all receive good news :)

I am also in the process of applying to the Graduate Institute.

I had a question regarding the financial documents.

So I don't have any professional work experience because I am still in my undergraduate studies which means my income is 0. My question is, what exactly is a tax certificate? Is a tax clearance certificate the same thing? My concern is that my parents do not have any income tax because they own a small business. Does anyone have the same experience as me? What kind of document should I be looking for? 

Another problem I have had is regarding my recommendation. So I inserted the contact details of two references. However, now that I try to insert the third one, the "save and continue" button has disappeared. 

I would appreciate the help. Thanks guys!

Hi @joyfuli!

I had a similar concern regarding the tax certificate since in my country tax declarations are not mandatory. The reply from the admission department was that if I was not in a position to provide tax certificates, I could include any other official documents and attestations concerning the income and assets which were available to me. They said that the more documents, the better it will be for the committee to assess my current financial situation. 

Regarding the recommendations, it seems like a technical issue... If I was in your position I probably would ask for technical support after double checking there is no any other link I could click :)

Edited by mrosales